New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to warm up the car yesterday before heading out with the baby.

I unlocked my car doors with my remote (spare key/remote).
Got in and started the car....put it in neutral..and turned on the heater.
Got out and locked the doors using the inside lock button.

Came back out and could not open the doors with my usual remote or the door key.
I could not open the trunk with the remote either.
I COULD open the trunk with the key....so I had to climb through and unlock the doors (with a broken trunk shock thingie..very hard to do and quite a site lemme tell ya).

What the heck? Josh thought the door locks were frozen but I was able to open the door using BOTH remotes and BOTH keys after I shut the car off.

??????????

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I believe that is a safety feature. Not sure what it serves but I m pretty sure youre right. I had that happen before too and it sucked.

·
Registered
674 Posts
one of fords great ideas is to not accept signals from the remote while the car is running. I dont see any logic behind it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Its like the Tbird we have you cant start the freaking car unless you push the brake pedtal in and hold the automatic shift up... stupid f.o.r.d.

·
5,274 Posts
one of fords great ideas is to not accept signals from the remote while the car is running. I dont see any logic behind it.
Actually, I do see the logic behind not accepting the remote, which I'll spare you all from reading here. But...

could not open the doors with my usual remote or the door key.
...what I don't understand is why LittleB couldn't use the KEY to open the door? (emphasis mine)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Did you all know that if you lock the doors with the windows down and try to open the door from the inside (reach in and pull the handle) it will set off the alarm? Yeah found this out today at work..

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Did you all know that if you lock the doors with the windows down and try to open the door from the inside (reach in and pull the handle) it will set off the alarm? Yeah found this out today at work..
Yes.
I have an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry
and if I lock my doors manually and then come back to the car and hit the button twice
it unlocks the door for me. But like I said mine is after market.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Originally posted by: Sare
I've done that once. I've also accidently hit the alarm button on the remote while putting my keys in my pocket. That scared the sh!t out of me!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what I don't understand is why LittleB couldn't use the KEY to open the door? (emphasis mine)
Mark, from reading all the replies here (thanks guys/gals), I am wondering the same thing. :shrug:

I am wondering if the locks WERE frozen (like hubby thought) and that, only because the car had warmed up quite a bit, I was able to unlock the doors with the key after I shut the car off.

One of these days when it's warm...I'm gonna try it again and see if I can open the doors with the key.

Thanks again!

-Beth-

·
5,274 Posts
Yes, Beth, I think you're right. Sounds like you had the bad luck to find the locks frozen at the same time you found out about the remote issue.

Yikes, that's a bad combo...
-- we've had a lot of stolen cars in Columbus lately, the majority of which were opportunity crimes where cars being warmed up in the driveway or in front of the house were taken by joy riders (including one kid who was picked up FOUR times since October for stealing cars to drive himself to school!) --
So you start the car, leave the key, but take the keyfob... go back in the house, and when you come out to go to work *DENIED* :rofl:

Funny if it's your neighbor...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts