New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if..................someone threw that rotary engine from a Mazda RX-8 into a cougar? I mean Ford does own Mazda. Perhaps I am just insane.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
it doesnt have all that much torque though and with the heavier (i am assuming anyway) cougar...might not be all that much faster than ours now...

would be cool to see how it does though!

·
Registered
492 Posts
The rx8 weighs about 3000 and the wight you would save on the engine would probably put them close in the wight department.

An engine swap of this caliber would be huge amount of work. Especially with the electrical system.
Youd even have to change the guages cause of a 9000 rpm redline. Way too much work, but possible.

·
Registered
674 Posts
...why would you spend all that money to drop the renesis engine in? There are many perfectly good JDM 20B's out there which you could get for about the same price. For all of you who don't know what I said, the JDM 20B Is a "Japanese Domestic Market" three rotor twin turbo engine. With a single turbo upgrade and some engine work they can easily pump out 700 horses....but it is also a RWD so there's more money you gotta spend. Or you could do like me and put it in a US Spec RX-7.....no one will know what hit them ;)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
umm with the money you'll spend doing the swap, you could just buy the entiire RX-8 itself :rolleyes:

it's got the RWD and suicide doors and everything :shrug:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
bah, RX-7 owns the RX-8 hands down in styling and performance. They should have never changed it....

In fact if I can get rid of my cougar I plan on picking one up for around 10G's very nicely modified.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts