New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tranny tunnel/firewall fabrication aside, this guy has created an adapter plate that will mate the Duratec V6 engines to the Tremec T5 bell housing ... the posibilities are endless!!!

Duratec/T5 Adapter Plate

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by: Cougaritus
Forget a T5... would this work with a T56??
Depends on the year of T56. 98+ T-56 bellhousing bolt patterns changed. What is for sale in my second link is the bellhouseing ONLY and would replace the bellhousing on the T-56. To know if this would work would depend on the bolt pattern of the tranny-bellhousing and the input shaft length. If the T5 bellhousing isn't as deep or too much deeper than the T-56 bellhousing, there will be fitment issues. The hardest part of this swap will be working out clutch actuation issues and may require a new pedal set adapted from an F-Body/Mustang. Pre 98 T-56 used an mechanical clutch type setup whereas the 98+ uses a hydraulic clutch type setup and we could probably adapt our current clutch pedal/slave cylinder to work ... MAYBE!

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me start over again on this. It all depends on if you want to do a RWD conversion with a Chevy engine or a Ford Engine. I personally would choose the Chevy LS1 engine/T56 combo in the 1998-2002 GM F-Body. I mentioned the adapter above because it can be used to fit the 3.0L Duratec, which would be great considering the T5's (Borge Warner T5, Tremec TKO or TKOII for turbo apps) torque limits match the upper end of the 3.0L's possibilities fine. However, since the steps would be nearly the same for this type of conversion, why not go over the top? Why not do a V8? Why not a V8 with a butt load of power from the start? Off with the kit gloves, get down and dirty and swap in an LS1 with LS6 heads!!! Imagine a Z06 corvette in Cougar clothing :evil:

Knowledge is power!

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
But if you're a Ford Guy...then putting a GM engine in there is sacreligious...

The LS1 is a great engine...and assuming it fit, I don't think I could do a GM engine into Ford...

·
Registered
450 Posts
thats cause theres always blow out! but bein a ford guy i agree. no chevy engines. bring on the 03 cobra engine assembly. 430 horsepower in a cougar converted to rear wheel drive. i doubt the engine would fit though. but still i'd take the 5.0L HO over the LS1. takes less money to make them fast. I need to play the lottery. i know they make rear wheel drive conversions for focus' would that work for us? slap! quit dreamin joe! ha ha ha

·
Registered
401 Posts
The 03 cobra engine does fit. I've seen it in a focus with a stock flat hood. The 6-speed also puts the shifter right in the shifter hole in the cougar or focus. I'll try to find pics. If I can't find any they should have the focus at the PRI show here the 4,5,6 of December. I can take pics then.

P.S. I also agree that anyone that puts a GM engine in a Ford for performance reasons needs to be castrated....

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
okay... who's the first person willing to attempt this now?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Jag, u talking about the Focus RS8 with the Tremec 5-speed HD? That uses a Ford Racing prototype shifter. I'm don't know whether or not that implies that the stock shifter would line up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If i had the funds i would I have another vehicle to drive but don't have the funds to get it up and rolling. Anyone want to donate to the jwheels54 fund to do this to see if it actually works email me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts