New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today rust forming the door wells near the hinges, and on the pinch lip under the car. Even though I live in Buffalo (NY) and we get a lot of snow, the car is always rinsed off, so I know the salt isn't the one causing this problem. Does anyone else notice rust formation anywhere on their Coug?

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Same here, it's gonna happen. I'm sure Ford doesn't use corrosion pretected materials or metals for their economy line of vehicles. Make sure you look at it from time to time.

Take a pic of it so you can use that for comparison in the future. ;) That way when the time comes, you're ready for replacement parts.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have been pleasantly suprised to see that there is no rust on my car as of yet... I use my car as a daily driver, and I would have thought I would have this problem already since I have a 99 - but it has held up well. Before winter, I always give my car a double coat of wax... Maybe that is what is keeping it in good condition.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by: ZEXCougar
I have been pleasantly suprised to see that there is no rust on my car as of yet... I use my car as a daily driver, and I would have thought I would have this problem already since I have a 99 - but it has held up well. Before winter, I always give my car a double coat of wax... Maybe that is what is keeping it in good condition.
Look underneath at the bottoms of both fenders and tell me there isn't any rust :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealership told me it has to be through the metal to be warrantied... not just surface rust -- anyone know the details on this? Fett, perhaps?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don't have my owners manual in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it's 5 years or xx,000 miles (50,60?). But from past Ford products I've had, I know it is a rust-through warranty, and doesn't cover surface rust. If you are still in the 3 yr /36k bumper to bumper, they usually would cover surface rust with that.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I have some rust bubbles under the paint in the lower part of my door jam right next to the chrome metal plate. My car just rolled over 50k, and I bought it second hand from a mercury dealership is this still covered. What about pits in the clear coat, my door has all kinds of pits in the clear coat.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
FYI, all rust warranties are for perforation. That means the rust is so bad, there's a whole in your door! ;) Btw, 01blkcat, you live in Buffalo, eh? Alright... you're my new US parts runner to Toronto (or Niagara Falls, ON). We'll do it one 2-4 of Molson per transaction! ;) Haha... Actually, got another user on here to drive in a new set of rims and tires for me from upstate New York.. can't tell you how much I saved on that one. DTD's free delivery to his place, and no tax! Yee-haw! Later, I visited his place in Rochester... picked up my stock tires and rims that he had driven back in on, and declared them at the border as snows that I bought for $100. hahaa.

Massiv.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts