New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

11,594 Posts
We're going to need a LOT more detail. Does it happen all the time? Moving, or sitting still? Braking or accelerating? etc...

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,704 Posts
My guess would be a bad wheel bearing. Is the hub really hot after driving for a while? Spray some water on the wheel after driving several miles. It will steam if your wheel bearing is bad...

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,704 Posts
Have a look at the stabilizer bar. It mounts to the subframe, and the rubber bushings can crap out on you and cause some noise. The link that connects it to the control arm can cause problems too, if the bushings wear out on those. It could also very well be your strut. How many miles are on your car, and are you still running the original stock struts?

Being as how you're in Columbus, I'd be happy to give a look/listen as well, see if I can spot the problem. It's always easier than trying to diagnose something over the internet.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cars got just about 88k. as far as original parts, i have no clue. the last owner didnt keep any records. are the things you mentioned are they hard to do it yourself if you dont have much expeprience?

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,704 Posts
The stabilizer is a pretty easy part to service. The struts aren't as easy, unless you have a bit of experience. But if you use a manual and take your time (start on Saturday morning, and give yourself the whole weekend for trial and error), it's perfectly do-able.

I DOUBT the stabilizer is bad - it's just an easy thing to check before you go tearing anything apart.

ALSO - have a look at your exhaust pipe. There's a chance a hanger or heat shield has let go, and the pipe is rubbing when the suspension moves.

There are several of us in Columbus that have done MANY complete suspension overhauls, so we can help out with any problems or questions, if you want to give it a go. Myself, Nadthomas, Soldier989, and JAMallott are all experienced with struts & springs, and we're all in the Columbus area; so we could even stop by and lend a hand if you get in over your head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.