New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first post and first thread, so bear with me. I searched for this topic, and nothing really came up, so here it goes...

My manual trans. in my '99 Cougar does not like to shift into 3rd gear. It will shift normal sometimes, but most of the time, it will grind when the clutch is let out, like it is not fully in gear. I had a mechanic that I know look at the car, and noticed that the rubber bushing was missing on the plastic piece the shifter cables attatch to that is near the transmission.

So here is the question...How easy is this to replace? Is it a dealer only part? What does it take to replace it?

Also, can the bushing be replaced by itself, or does the entire piece/cable need to be replaced?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
O'Fallon ? heh im in St Charles.

Those attachements are kind of a pain in the ass from what i know. Steve (aka Slurpee) had a hard time with his on his 3L engine swap. Ill try and get a hold of im or some one else to give you better info.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Most dealers will try and sell you the whole cable assembly...

However, you should be able to get just teh cable ends from Bill Jenkins @ TEAMFORD in Las Vegas...

They are around $10. for one end or something like that... and installation of just the cable ends are somewhat easy...

Pry the cable end off of the shift tower on the tranny, push the orange retainer piece in and make sure it clicks in place... Then pull the end off of the cable. To install, have someone hold the shifter in the exact center of the shifter assembly (inside the car), and slide the end onto the cable so that it lines up with the shift tower connection. Push the end onto the shift tower pin, then release the orange plastic retainer and it will lock the cable end to the cable and won't move. Try and shift into all gears and make sure they all feel nice and even and smooth.... If not, try again, until it feels right.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I was told by another Ford parts dealer that the bushings were not sold separately. i would have to buy both cable assemblies for over $100.

Instead, Dan stuck a grommet in the hole of the plastic cable end. If you can buy the cable ends separately - and for just $10 - that would be the best option.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Part numbers:)

White one F7RZ-7412-AA & black one XS8Z-7412-GA.

Just make sure the black one comes with the orange piece that has the spring. On a recent batch of these, the orange piece was omitted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts