New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how difficult it is to install Roush springs with stock struts?

·
Registered
722 Posts
My best advice is get another person to help you. The most difficult part is actually putting the spring strut assembly back into place....

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Be sure to either buy or rent a spring compresser. Autozone etc. rents um for a deposit then free when you return them. Its not hard as long as you know what you are doing. Sled and Bexcat have done several sets....

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Just give yourself a good full afternoon and you should be able to do it no problem. Get some PB B'laster to spray on all the bolts you're going to remove, and an 18mm offset wrench works wonders for tightening the top bolt. There is a how-to on the CEG, and if you run into a problem you can always ask the owner of the "House of Slam." ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Good call on the offset wrench. Also you can reduce the time by prolly half if you have air tools. The job is pretty easy and straightforward but corrosion issues may apply so allow plenty of time. I would also suggest that if you have over 50K on the car get new upper mounts and bearings on the front. Weve been replacing these lately. the MOST important thing IMO is to anit-seize EVERYTHING! every bolt you remove should be cleaned with either a wire brush or wheel and then antiseized before reinstalling. It will save you much time an effort in the future. This goes double for all brake components. If some of those bolts go for years without being touched they can be a real pain to get out and some can break/strip so be careful.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It took me a day, a busted ball joint boot, and a FUBAR tie rod end to get the front drivers side changed out... and only took 45 min for the passengers side! go figure....

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My mechanic buddy just opened up his own shop - he said he'll do it for a case of beer, so I'll just do that instead! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Once he is done with the install, he will probably raise his rate to 2 cases of beer. It isnt as easy as doing a damn honda. Still well worth 2 cases.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I wish all mechanics would charge cases of beer for fixing stuff. My mechanic friend swapped in my new flywheel for a 12-pack.

Mike

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My mechanic is a great guy. He'll do most any work for a case of beer! Then he shares the case with you, so even better!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts