New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just bought my cougar a few days ago but, maryland sucks and it didn't pass inspection because the rotors were worn to much. I think they might have been turned before. Anyways I just bought the rotors today and plan on putting them on tomorrow. I was wondering if there was anything I should watch out for, when replacing them. This is my first time doing this and any suggestions would be very helpful. thanks Also when I was buying the rotors from napa they told me depending on my tire size there were two different size rotors. My tires ended up being 16" so I had to spend the money for the more expensive ones. I was just curious why this was.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i did mine myself and found it to be easy....nothing really to watch out for....i did find the backs to be a little harder to do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason why the bigger rotor costs more is because it's a bigger rotor. That's about it... (we're a bunch of suckers, you know that???)

If you need any help changing them, just ask or search. It's pretty straight forward... jack the car up, remove the caliper (two bolts in the back), have a friend hold the caliper while you take the old rotor off and put the new one on. If you don't have a friend handy, you can use a coat hanger and hang it from the spring. You will have back the caliper piston up to put the caliper back on (I use a 5-inch c-clamp).

... actually, it's too late to ask, I just told you. The hardest part is lining the caliper back up to put the caliper bolts back on.

Since you had to push the caliper piston back, don't forget to pump your brakes a few times before driving off.

Another thing you might want to do is to see how much brake pad you have left. If you have less than a half of a pad, you might as well go ahead and replace them while you have the caliper off.

And that's about it...
It's easy, don't worry about it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And don't forget to brake in the new rotors :) I would get new pads too when I change the rotors

1 - 5 of 5 Posts