New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from it being illegal, what's the downfall of removing the piping running from my engine to my muffler?

What I want to do is get another muffler, for show only, and remove all piping leading to the two mufflers. Wouldn't it increase horspower and sound "a bit" louder?

As I said, aside from being illegal, where's the downfall?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Remove all pipes as in open headers? HELLA LOUD SOUNDS LIKE A DAMN ROCKET LAUNCHING

Remove all pipes as in open after cat? after resonator? what?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Removing pipes after Cats....

Also, I should mention that I would gut the Cats as well.

G

·
If you're gonna gut the cat, then just take it off as well. Lemme tell you tho, if you do that its gonna drive u nuts, its ridiciously loud, you won't hear yourself screaming. (And that's at idle)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you talk about it being ridiculously loud, is that without the piping or is that by ripping off the cat?

More than likely, I won't rip off the cat because I smoke and I don't all the exhaust coming in when I put the windows down.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
it will sound loud and nastay. just gut the precats and buy an exhaust system. it'll sound nicer and be louder than stock.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Originally posted by: joeyroland
When you talk about it being ridiculously loud, is that without the piping or is that by ripping off the cat?

More than likely, I won't rip off the cat because I smoke and I don't all the exhaust coming in when I put the windows down.

you won't need the windows down to get carbon monoxide into the car. there are plenty of areas under the car for the gas to get trapped. Cars are not air tight. I wouldn't do it because of this.
Besides you'd probably get decreased performance with the reduction of backpressure. It still needs some.

G

·
I would not reccomend it. I removed the cat and put a 3"straight pipe to my exhaust. It accomplished 2 things: 1) pushed alot of the unbearable noise to the rear, and 2) kept the fumes behind you. If you are interested, I have the straight pipe on the for sale board. It was custom cut, includes the y pipe, and will solve your problem. I bought a custom cat to accomodate better 'breathing'.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Ok just do this...gut the precats, gut the main cat and get a cat back exhaust. Thats a crap load of flow for ya!

G

·
I just chopped off my exhaust and it sounds freakin' awesome !! It isn't all that loud and it has a rumble like a v8 !! The only time that it is loud is when you are accelerating !! But whatever you do be VERY careful cause' some fumes do come into the car ONLY when you are accelerating, so leave your windows down as much as possible !! Good Luck and have fun !!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
what exactly do you mean by chopping it off? Whats still left and what isn't?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: cougarhottie
I just chopped off my exhaust and it sounds freakin' awesome !! It isn't all that loud and it has a rumble like a v8 !! The only time that it is loud is when you are accelerating !! But whatever you do be VERY careful cause' some fumes do come into the car ONLY when you are accelerating, so leave your windows down as much as possible !! Good Luck and have fun !!! :biggrin:
What the hell is the point?! To attempt to kill yourself? Those fumes are toxic -- and they can be deadly in large doses. It's not always going to be nice enough outside to have the windows down.

Never thought of the Cougar as a deadtrap.... :ugh:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
you are ruining your car... if you do that go to a muffler shop and pay $10 to have them attach a dump... it sends the fumes and exhaust to the ground... another reason this is cool is because it makes it even louder because the noise hits the road and reflects... a lot of my mustang friends do that..

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
there are alot of reasons why you dont want to do that. Most of them have been expressed already...I just wanted to throw in another voice saying, dont do it. Pipe that gas out of the car...just get a 2.5" straight pipe from the cat back, your gonna flow WAY more than you need to, and sound really loud...and you wont die sitting in traffic. plus exhaust fumes are really corrosive..let that stuff under your car too much and it'll eat through stuff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts