New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of stock 17 inch rims that are pretty trashed, ive wire wheeled the insides since there was a thick coating of what looked like brake dust that had began to rust and it was so bad that the orange rusty color was working it way into the running boards and lower part of the door, the car is silver and with a power washer i was able to get the coloring off the body. The rims arent pitted but they have lost any protective coating that was there, heavily oxidized and in need of some restoration. SO with that does anyone know of a way to restore rims or am I wasting my time? I thought about getting some neew rims but the car is no show piece and money could be better spent on other things.

·
Administrator
11,545 Posts
Restoration prices for wheels in my area start at $150/ea and that includes mount/unmount of tire, balancing and bringing the wheel back to factory condition (filling pitting & curb rash, powdercoating, etc). Clearly you can get a decent set of 17's for that price, but if you're looking to keep that OEM look you're also better off buying a refreshed set from eBay.

If your time is worth it, you're looking at a couple hours per wheel to sand it, fill any holes, prep it and spray it again.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Ive looked into this a few times and it seems as if purchasing them from the outlets that sell restored OEM wheels is about the same price as having the restoration done professionally.
Seems like it was around $200 each last time I looked.

The alternative is elbow grease.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feed back, I went with sand blasting the piss out of them, then cleaning with acetone and welding the pits, sanding smooth, but ran into one rim that required more work than first anticipated. Had remove a small section where someone put a metal weight that had ate away the aluminum. I built it up slowly with 4043 filler and worked it down as best i could along the bead area, Im gonna mount tires this weekend and hope i did good enough job shaping the rim so it doesnt leak. All in all it took me about 50 hours to do all four rims with welding and repair, plus priming, painting and clear coating, wish i was a better painter, my clear coat could use some improvement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is the winter set, i went with something darker to hide the brake dust. My summer set was done in silver frost and metalic and I was constantly spraying them weekly to keep them clean
new rims.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts