New Cougar Forum banner
161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Yes, I suppose that the gasoline-air mixture adjusts it with the MAF sensor and corrects it with the lambda probe. But what I do not know is how you say if the ignition advances by Rpm and when it lacks air / fuel on high, the ignition / mixture does not vs well or if it leaves the ignition the same if the IMRC is not activated, although I think that the ECU does not know if the IMRC works well or badly, I do not know this, but the obvious thing is that it loses a lot of power.

·
Registered
1998 V6 MTX Ebony Black Wild at Heart Trim
92 Posts
I am pretty sure the system can kinda detect that the IMRC is not working correct and probably limits it somehow otherwise I think the cars wouldn't just drive normally except no power when up top of the RPM range. I mean if somethings wrong you get a DTC Code so there has to be something. Otherwise the changed timing would probably damage something if you tried going over 3500 RPMs with a broken IMRC I'm guessing.
I am not an Ford engineer... hell not even a qualified mechanic so what I know just comes from self teaching, the little experience I had from owning one for around a year, community told knowledge and the Internet (and some stuff I picked up in mechanic school where I am right now).
Just know if you don't go over 3500 RPM just leave them closed for now and thats at least something I can say with confidence.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,716 Posts
I deleted the IMRC and the secondaries in my 3.0. My original dyno plot on the stock SVT tune showed a 30+ hp loss at about 4000-4500 RPMs, but there was no corresponding change in the air/ruel ratio. The guy doing the tune found that the timing was radically changed during the switch-over, and once he corrected that, I got my 30 hp back. Blue line is the stock tune with no IMRC, red line is the revised tune.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Hello again, you are both right.

The imrc generates a fault code, and ignition advance is something that can subtract a lot of power.

Well this afternoon at 16:00, I am going to go to the ITV to see if I pass it, I will be driving 40 minutes before to see if the car brakes and goes well.

For my opinion it has been to finish very hastily, I'm sure I forget things, and I still have things to do, but I need to have the car on the street to put the Ford Galaxy in the garage that I use these days in the move that is to him He has turned on a brake light on the dashboard and I have to do a review that I am doing a lot of km and it is a 19-year-old car that I have very, very neglected.

I also need the garage to take things out of the house and store things in the ...

I leave you a photo of the coating that I put on the ceiling inside, that these days it is very hot ...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
A quick question

I can't find in the car where it puts the pressure on the wheels, I don't have the plate

What pressure do they carry with and without load in front and behind?

All cougars carry the same pressure with 16-inch wheels?

·
5,303 Posts
A quick question

I can't find in the car where it puts the pressure on the wheels, I don't have the plate

What pressure do they carry with and without load in front and behind?

All cougars carry the same pressure with 16-inch wheels?
Pretty sure they would all be the same. 16-inch wheels are 32 PSI / 221 kPa. Attached a pic of the tire pressure plate from my 2001.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Thank you very much, although the air gauges never mark well and each one of us personalizes the pressure, I think it is important to know what the manufacturer recommends.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Well, yesterday I passed the ITV, I have only had minor failures such as the height of the headlights (when changing the rear springs it has dropped a lot)
The nuts of the front transmission loosely tight (I forgot)
And the car deviates in the direction 18m every 1000m (this is what happens when doing it by eye)

This was good and has allowed me to be able to drive it ....

Thank you all because it is clear to me that without your help I would not have reached this point.

But...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Driving the car I still see that it is hot, it immediately reaches 95-100 degrees and the fan constantly enters the city, day and night, it only works well on the highway.

It is the first thing I saw in the car when I bought it 2 years ago and changed the radiator, thermostat, water pump and belt because the radiator was old and rusty from using normal water, the pulley tensioner was broken and the thermostat was only the outer ring I do not know if they removed the inside or is inside the engine.

As the solution is to open the engine and see the cylinder heads this is going to take until you have space to do it again.

Something has happened to me that has never happened to me.
I began to hear a noise like the siren of a very serious and loud ship, I thought, it seems that it is me, it cannot be if it looks like a ship, but if the port is 8 km away, what a big ship it has to be, a cruise ship ?

The noise was removed when accelerating, ok it's me but will it be the bearings? Well, not because when stopped it also does it and if I accelerate it takes off, so it does it from time to time ...

As I did not do that when I bought it, it can only be an air intake, because it is the only thing I have touched and the butterfly the screws that hold it to the collector fail me (it is the bad thing about the cleaning process with soda) but I do not accelerates the engine only makes a noise as if it were a large ship entering port, thank goodness it did not do it in the ITV ...

I'm right, has it happened to you?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,716 Posts
That is probably the harmonic noise through the idle air control valve. If so, it will only happen when the throttle is closed. You can pinch the hose on the IACV when the noise is happening and that should make it stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Ricardo, I'm from Spain as well, owner of a 2.5 Cougar.

I sometimes also hear that siren / ship noise. Actually I thought it was the steering wheel pump (I hope that's the correct name), since it usually starts when I start the car and immediately turn the wheel. But it might be the IACV... I actually have P0402 and P1151 unsolved.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,716 Posts
To solve the IACV noise issue, you only need to alter the airflow into the valve. You can use a longer hose, or insert a restriction into the hose; anything to change how the air is coming in.

The original hose has a z-shaped bend molded into it to control the harmonics. Some earlier Duratec engines had a separate harmonic chamber added on as well. It's a known phenomenon, and can be pretty shocking the first time you hear it. It was always a very common question on this forum in the past, and we usually referred to is as "moosing". There are countless threads and videos about moosing if you want to do a forum search.

It's not harming anything, so don't let it concern you; it's just unwanted noise, and it's easy to remedy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To solve the IACV noise issue, you only need to alter the airflow into the valve. You can use a longer hose, or insert a restriction into the hose; anything to change how the air is coming in.

The original hose has a z-shaped bend molded into it to control the harmonics. Some earlier Duratec engines had a separate harmonic chamber added on as well. It's a known phenomenon, and can be pretty shocking the first time you hear it. It was always a very common question on this forum in the past, and we usually referred to is as "moosing". There are countless threads and videos about moosing if you want to do a forum search.

It's not harming anything, so don't let it concern you; it's just unwanted noise, and it's easy to remedy.
Thanks a lot for your input. If there's no harm, then there's no worry :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
[QUOTE = "motorypse, publicación: 2359495, miembro: 61819"]
Hola Ricardo, yo también soy de España, dueño de un 2.5 Cougar.

A veces también escucho ese ruido de sirena / barco. En realidad, pensé que era la bomba del volante (espero que sea el nombre correcto), ya que generalmente comienza cuando enciendo el auto e inmediatamente doy vuelta el volante. Pero podría ser el IACV ... De hecho, tengo P0402 y P1151 sin resolver.
[/ CITA]

Hola, creo que el ruido de la dirección es mucho más suave, es como golpes, mientras esto es como si estuvieras en un barco ... creo que si es la bomba de dirección puedes intentar escucharlo que alguien encienda el rueda y escuchas donde la bomba, la IACV no afecta la dirección ni los frenos ni la velocidad

Hola, creo que el ruido de direccion es mucho mas suave es como golpes, mientas esto es como si estubieses en un barco ... creo que si es la bomba de la direccion pudes probar a escucharlo que alguien te gire el volante y tu escuchas donde la bomba, el del IACV no le afecta la direcion o frenos o velocidad [/ QUOTE]
By the way, how many km does your cougar have? Does the IMRC work for you?
Por cierto cuantos km tiene tu cougar? te funciona el IMRC?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
[QUOTE = "B3NN3TT, publicación: 2359496, miembro: 3626"]
Para resolver el problema del ruido IACV, solo necesita alterar el flujo de aire hacia la válvula. Puede usar una manguera más larga o insertar una restricción en la manguera; cualquier cosa para cambiar la forma en que entra el aire.

La manguera original tiene una curva en forma de Z moldeada para controlar los armónicos. Algunos motores Duratec anteriores también tenían una cámara armónica separada. Es un fenómeno conocido y puede ser bastante impactante la primera vez que lo escuchas. Siempre fue una pregunta muy común en este foro en el pasado, y generalmente nos referimos como "moosing". Hay innumerables hilos y videos sobre moosing si desea hacer una búsqueda en el foro.

No está dañando nada, así que no dejes que te preocupe; es solo ruido no deseado y es fácil de remediar.
[/ CITA]

Eso es muy interesante, no lo sabía.

¿Qué haría sin tu ayuda?

Si entendí correctamente, ¿no está fallando el IACV? o que tiene una entrada de aire, pero he tocado o cambiado la geometría de la manguera de aire o su entrada en el colector y se produce una resonancia ... muy interesante.

Y afortunadamente eso es fácil y barato de resolver ...

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Yes.
Someone wrote a how-to a long time ago. Attached.
I believe Ford already addressed the problem through an IACV redesign, so it was way more common on the Contours than on the Cougars because most of us got the improved IACV. It still happens when they start to wear out though.
The real fix is a new IACV but this how-to will serve as a work-around if you want to delay replacement.

Attachments

Reactions: Ricardo70

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
I am planning to buy one because I think mine does not move but while it will be fun to do so, thanks

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,716 Posts
That throttle hang fix was one of the first mods I made to my car, right after installing the intake. It’s been in there for 19 years.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts