New Cougar Forum banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Well, the air inlet was in those badly placed gaskets.

It is what has to work at times, that from one day to the next ...

It has been to put them with care, center the intake manifold and the orderly tightening and its torque and it is already hot at 950-1000 RPM

Two less problems ...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Well, they are not two less problems.

The idle control valve does not have to be very good because doing the CO2 test has given me these values:

Coolant 23ºC 1175RPM.

Coolant 88ºC 878RPM.

ODB2 data.

But don't be in a hurry to fix this by changing the valve.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
The CO2 test.

I start the engine and start counting time and temperature.

At 87ºC the temperature that opens the thermoster I measure and put the pipette with the blue liquid

17 minutes.

I have reached 102ºC where I stopped the test, by raising the water from the tank to the pipette and splashing everything.

23 minutes

As the liquid has not changed color I have blown through the tube to make sure it was in good condition and the liquid has turned from blue to yellow with my breathing.

Do I accept the cylinder head gaskets? can be.

How about 23 minutes to turn on the fans while still?

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Head gasket leaks are not very common for these engines. Your smoke may be coming from oil on the exhaust manifolds. It seems like a lot of our possible oil leak locations have a tendency to be above the exhaust.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Since I repositioned the LIM gaskets I have not seen any smoke, today while I was warming up the engine I have been taking a good look.

I have a drop of oil on the ground that may be from the pulley.

The idle a little higher.

And the IMRC that still doesn't work

But while I can use the car while the Covid passes and I move to another house with more space to disassemble the engine and leave it well.

If the cylinder head is good in a car with 22 years, 260,000km and 5 owners, I think it is the hardest, strongest, most resistant engine that I have seen.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I think very few cars that still have the 2.5l in them have had major engine work. Almost all of them are still fully intact. The only real failures that most people have had came from bearing failures probably due to low oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bro, if you want to find ****...you will find it
more you open that engine (yes every gasket will start to leak and will need replacing) more you will find **** (**** FOR YOU because the engine is a NA V6 and it doesn't care about, it will continue to run)
your cougar even likes to smoke a little ..it's an over 20yo car
does it worth to waste time cleaning like perfection/polishing things of a 68cv/liter engine?
this engine is a solid one,
maybe you can do happily 100.000km more with little leaks like that
friendly, stop getting worried and drive it!!!

AND
in the meantime... because i've seen you like to get busy:
buy a 2011 ford fusion/ mercury mylan (THE LAST DESIGN DURATEC V6 3.0) used engine from usa and begin "the costruction" of a future good upgrade, its the cheaper way to rejuvenate your 99 cougar and get REAL HP.
Not the torque curve supply of the fusion, but a peaky one (fault of no possibility of utilise his vvt for us) but with all his 243hp yes, yes the fusion's got 243hp with all stock (so egr,cats,stock filter etc etc).... imagine with some basic tune/exhaust/filter...
The 2009-2011 heads, ports and intake manifold are completely upgraded,
one level over st200, svt, taurus/escape or st220.

like that ...you will drive ...and you will work... in the same time..for something that worth

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
243 crank hp is 206 to the wheels. My 3.0 is making that much. Dropped right in there, no wiring or retrofitting, plug and play. It’s from a 2005 Taurus with no VVT or any of that crap. Don’t make it harder than it needs to be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
243 crank hp is 206 to the wheels. My 3.0 is making that much. Dropped right in there, no wiring or retrofitting, plug and play. It’s from a 2005 Taurus with no VVT or any of that crap. Don’t make it harder than it needs to be.
Pretty sure your 3lt got no standard exhaust, filter, precats etc etc for reaching these hp's.
Fusion does with all the ****.

full taurus 3.0 Plug&play?
An hybrid is plug&play.
If COP conversion and no-return-fuel style and all the connections to the intake manifold are plug&play...beh.. the fusion is plug&play too, except for locking the vvt cams in the "high rpm position".

So they re-designed COMPLETELY the top end (even the pan is better, they deleted TWO 90° curves of primaries) for nothing?
Better the base of start better the results.
Get the best and the best results will be easier.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Don't listen to that guy. Don't waste time reading about Fusions.

dallarace2, if you really want to talk about Fusion swaps, start a new thread for it instead of cluttering up this one because that conversation will be a dead end.
But first read this

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Just curious how much of the fusions engine is actually ran through the CanBus system which a 99-02 cougar has none of. Yes 243 hp but after its working you've went through and rewired the engine and put in an ECM not meant for our cars. It was around 2005 something as small as the temp sensor was ran through canbus in the escape. Big deal! Right? Well to incorporate the can bus stuff into the car you're also rewiring the interior of the car instrument cluster, body harnes, various other things that run off it. Im going to go out on a limb and say ALOT more then the temp sensor has been switched over in 2011. The headache you're going to get into for 243HP isnt worth it.
And this is coming from a guy whos cougar has had a 0 mile engine under the hood since 2016 because Im too stubborn to use whats been proven to work already thousands of time and want an aftemarket ECM. Its just stupid. But hey its your car and your money, do what feels good.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I value your opinions, I believe that everything can be learned and I believe that you all have a part of reason.

If you want to know what I think to entertain myself:
(I have more hobbies than cars ...)

But in cars I would like to buy 1 or 2 more Cougars, now that they are still sold at a good price.

If there are better cars but since I'm learning how this one works ...

I would like to have one of them for parts.

Another to leave it as original as possible, little use but to be able to enjoy it ...

And the last cougar for experiments.
I have always thought of the Duratec 30 of the Jaguar that there are a few left around here.

But gives us time for everything we want?

From what we are looking for to what we have, the important thing is to have fun on the road.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Hello, does anyone know what numbering or name in English these two pieces have to be able to search for them?
One is one of the two rear seat clips and one is the right sun visor bracket.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
It would be a miracle if you found either one of those new.

I might have a rear seat clip, I can take a look.

The sunvisor clips are practically unobtanium. I always look at them anytime I see a car in the junkyard but they are usually broken. I have a theory that the clips from a 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee could be adapted to work but I haven't tested the theory.

Reactions: Ricardo70

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I have always thought of the Duratec 30 of the Jaguar that there are a few left around here.
Good luck putting that in a cougar. I know a guy who tried that one. I hope you're a good fabricator. It's not going to go in without a fight.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Good luck putting that in a cougar. I know a guy who tried that one. I hope you're a good fabricator. It's not going to go in without a fight.
For now it's just a dream ... and I don't think I have time hehe life goes by very fast and there are other priorities ...

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
If you can find a manual trans one it may be easier. The auto trans model doesnt clear our subframes. And the portion of our subframe where the steering rack bolts to runs right across where the rear drive shaft goes through.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
The solution also involves buying the entire car and thus having all the cables and sensors as well as the jaguar's ECU, but even so, all the electronics on the dashboard of our cougar have to be a very hard job to make it work ...

I see much easier to put the engine block only and enlarge the cylinder head valves as well as to manufacture an intake similar to the cougar of a corresponding size as well as the exhaust

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
It would be easier to just turbo or supercharge the engine in the car and gain more horsepower the easy way.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts