New Cougar Forum banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Yes, that's fine, but first I'll pass the test without removing anything to see if it passes.

By the way, the two tubes of the same tube of exaust reach the DPFE but one lower and one higher, I suppose that is to detect when it accelerates, why would pressure reach one first and then another?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I wanted to explain that I am not thinking of canceling the EGR to gain power, I am thinking of canceling it because I have seen all the dirt that the intake had and after leaving it so clean I want it to continue like this.

And do not think that I do not care about pollution, the car that I use daily is the most ecological that my economy can afford.

So why am I spending so many hours on the cougar?

If I wanted a fast car, I would buy one of the many cars that have the 2.0 TFSI of 200cv of the VW group and changing a few parts that are sold a lot and at low prices such as turbo, collector, reprogramming ... 300cv would easily be removed and emptied the car could be lightened a lot, the advantages of a very sold mechanism is the economics of this transformation.

But can you race on the roads? not here.
Is it cheap to race on circuits? here a luxury.
Would it be comfortable? do not.
Reliable? nooo
Nice? maybe with the right color and taste stickers.

For me the place is one step away from being a classic, it has a v6 engine that is not old (12 valves) nor is it electronically modern, allow you to do it yourself.
It is comfortable, it is dynamic, and it has the necessary power and in the current market it can be bought at a very low price.

But I do not want to deny that I would like to leave it as new with many years ahead and if it is possible to earn a CV by doing things well, although it is not the objective it is something that I am sure we all love.

And also I like it a lot, I know it does not have the curves of a Ferrari or the straight lines of a Lamborghini
not the size of the wheels or the air intake or the displacement of a mustang
And according to my son it is not rear-wheel drive and it does not have a front mechanical differential like modern front-wheel drive, (I want to know if it could be put).

But we never fall in love with someone perfect, nobody is perfect ...

And for me it is the ideal car for a day when you want to drive, enjoy taking curves on the 90kmh mountain roads that are where I live because those of us who have been driving all our lives to go to work and work, shopping, Taking the children to school sometimes we like to avoid the highways and drive to drive and be able to make those little trips without a destination that you do not look at the clock and enjoy the landscape driving the car we like to drive.

(If I know it is a shame not to have a mustag, a ferrari or a lamborgini by now.)

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
You dont have to explain your irrational fondness for this car here. We are all a little bit crazy.

The two tubes from the EGR pipe are there to indicate flow. When the EGR valve opens, exhaust flows through the pipe. When flowing, there will be a slightly higher pressure in the tube closest to the engine. This differential pressure is how flow is detected by the DPFE.

Reactions: Ricardo70

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Pero los radares solo se usan a veces y siempre tienen señales para avisar a la gente.
Here mobile radars are a great source of economic income.

Marcus
I have a great question that haunts me these days.
And I don't know very well if it is something compatible or very specific

I will tell you because they are from your country

Drexler Motorsport - Product Catalog ENG

It seems that the new front-wheel drive mount it and can use a lot of power in the front end without the problem that always happens when one of the wheels loses contact with the ground, it is not safe because the traction control works by braking to solve this , is to be able to accelerate and gain traction on the wheel that rests on the ground, we are not necessary with this the heavy rear-wheel drive mechanics ...[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Here mobile radars are a great source of economic income.

Marcus
I have a great question that haunts me these days.
And I don't know very well if it is something compatible or very specific

I will tell you because they are from your country

Drexler Motorsport - Product Catalog ENG

It seems that the new front-wheel drive mount it and can use a lot of power in the front end without the problem that always happens when one of the wheels loses contact with the ground, it is not safe because the traction control works by braking to solve this , is to be able to accelerate and gain traction on the wheel that rests on the ground, we are not necessary with this the heavy rear-wheel drive mechanics ...
[/QUOTE]
Your looking for a limited slip differential.
Quaife makes them and they are available in Europe.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Hello, I have decided that I cannot dedicate more time to the UIM, I think that I have failed in details of coarser sanding that are not solved if you sand finer. But doing this well takes many more hours than I have put into it.

So I'm going to see if I remember how to drive everything and I'm going to see if it starts to test the injectors.

I am happy with the result because the initial state was bad and it is always an improvement.

If someone is thinking of doing the same, I recommend using a bristle brush of the type that is mounted on the drill that gives a good and fast result, but not using files and sandpaper.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
A question:

I got 4 17 "wheels at a very good price but their" ET "offset is 26mm instead of 46mm as the originals mount.
Can those 20mm that the wheel comes out towards the outside rub against me?
Has anyone had any problems?

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
Depends on the wheel width. A 7” width probably won’t rub, but anything wider might.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Hello, the rims are as wide as the original 6.5 ".
The tire is a 225/45/17
and the ET26

In the papers it brings:
215/50/16 ET46 6.5 "

A question:
I am mounting another IMRC and it has the connector that goes to the LIM broken
Is there any good idea to connect the wire rope to the LIM?

I have tried to turn it around and put a prisoner on it but it fell short.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
hi, this is very interesting, has someone installed it in the cougar gearbox?
Yes, there are many LSD's of this brand and other brands in Cougars. Quaife is one of the biggest brands in the business and they are known for great quality. We are fortunate to share a transmission with the Focus because the same LSD fits both cars. I believe this is the same unit installed by Ford in the MK1 Focus RS.

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
I think Ford Racing uses the Torsen diff, but it's mostly the same thing as the Quaife. There is another option from MFactory as well.

When I bought my Torsen, I searched for the Focus part, since those carried the MTX-75 through 2011 here in the US (good grief, that was still 10 years ago. I drive an ANTIQUE.)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I know that the torsion is faster to block and the drexler is more progressive.
But I don't know how the difference affects driving.
Interesting to know which ford has ridden it so you know what to look for.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I have three problems:

1st the Little:
I have started the engine and the rpm goes up to 2000 and then it stays at 1500/1650 steadily.
As before I did not.

Is it because the idle regulator fell to the ground while I was taking it from my young son?
If so, good because I have another.

Or do I have an air intake?
Where do I look for it?

2º The one who does not rush me:
The IMRC I bought is still not working and the cable is not.

3rd The big one.
When I bought the car 2 years ago I saw that the engine was very hot even though the needle did not indicate it.
I saw that the radiator was tap water and rust and that the tensioner arm of the water pump was broken with a screw holding it.
Change the radiating, change the water pump, the belt of your measure and a good coolant.
After doing this, I saw that it did not get so hot and I left the car stopped until a few months ago I could put it in the garage and started with the suspension.

Now the engine has warmed up very quickly and although the OBD shows 87-94 degrees Celsius looking for gasoline leaks or air intakes I have seen that when the engine has heated up it smokes, it is not exhaust gases I think, it smells like a hot engine .

I think two things:
1º It is nothing it is so much cleaning oil WD-40 and tomorrow in cold I will see how long it takes to heat up and if it makes smoke again.

2º I have the bad gasket or something like that and even if I don't see oil in the water, I don't want to accept it ....

I hope your advice since you see it from the outside and you are more objective.

Video
Humo Cougar

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Hello, I have done a quick test,

I have 3 questions:

1 But starting at what RPM is the engine going?

2 what RPM are normal when heating?

3 Is it normal for the upper radiator hose to get hot but not too hard?
and there is no running water in the radiator water tank?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I have seen in the user manuals that it says idle RPM: 725rpm?
Well I think since I bought it it has been at 1150rpm
Is that so?

·
Registered
1998 V6 MTX Ebony Black Wild at Heart Trim
70 Posts
Mine idles a little bit over 1000rpm when its cold but after warming up a bit it stays around 750rpm

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Hello.
I am discouraged these days because I am almost certain that I have a leak in the head gasket.
When the solenoid valve reaches 90 it lets the water flow to the radiator and a lot of smoke comes out of the expansion tank, tomorrow I will do the CO2 test.
From what I have reported, this cylinder head leak is less noticeable because it does not communicate with the oil and when the car is running it does not get as hot as when idling.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Focusing on the RPM of the car, I have disassembled the intake manifold and found the new gaskets that I put deformed, I do not know if the LIM does not tighten it well and if the UIM or what happened.
I will repeat the process and mount it again to see the RPM

As a curious thing I have found carbon and dirt in the LIM after only 20 minutes of operation, I suppose that no matter how much you clean the UIM well there is always something left.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts