New Cougar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 120 Posts

·
Administrator
24,543 Posts
I would use the new rings and the old hats.

Put the o-rings on the injectors. If they are tight on the injector body, and can't easily be turned around or moved, that's step one.

Insert an injector into the lower manifold. If it is very snug, and does not pull out easily, and isn't able to be turned easily, then that is step two, and the o-rings are probably fine.

I usually have to put a little motor oil or petroleum jelly on the injector o-ring to get them to go into the lower manifold more easily, without binding or twisting the o-rings.

You can easily install the injectors and fuel rail into the lower manifold, bolt down the rail, and cycle the ignition several times (WITHOUT starting the engine) to see if there are any fuel leaks under pressure. If, after several key cycles, everything is dry - proceed to install the upper manifold and finish the job.

Reactions: Ricardo70

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hello, following your advice, I have mounted the LIM and the injectors.
I have changed the fuel hose and fuel filter.

Tomorrow when I manage to put the CLIPS to the injectors that will not be easy and when I connect the electrical cables that I tape, I will try again to give the contact to look for gasoline leaks.

But I have a problem:

When removing the gasoline hoses I do not remember which one goes up or down, I have blown through them and the one that could be blown easily I have thought that it is the return one and I have connected it to the pressure regulator of the fuel rail.

I hope I have done well because if not, gasoline will not get to me, and as much as I have searched in manuals I do not see an image that explains it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hello, change the microfilters of the injectors and the gasoline filter and if it can be said that they slow the passage of the liquid from so much accumulated dirt.

Putting the ignition key without starting I have taken out a little gasoline later and to my surprise it comes out dirty, I hope it is the one that has passed from the new filter cleaning the duct to the injection rail.

I have not been able to test if it reaches the injectors because it does not arrive, probably because there is no vacuum in the injection rail valve.

When I mount the UIM, see if I finish it, I'll do a short start and look for gas leaks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

One question, since the car I am going to use little and seeing that the intake gets dirty, I am thinking of canceling the EGR with a plate.

Can the EGR pressure sensor give me problems?

Its function is to open or close the EGR valve?

·
Registered
1998 V6 MTX Ebony Black Wild at Heart Trim
70 Posts
As far as I know (since I wanna do that myself) the dirt inside the Intake Manifold comes from partially the EGR and partially the PCV system.

You can get EGR delete plates for the Intake Manifold from eBay (gaskets included) but the sensor would need to programmed (which is possible since the facelifted motors didn't have EGR anymore in the EU) out of the ECU otherwise you will get error codes since the pressure isn't correct anymore.
For the PCV system you would need to install a oil catch can. It gets installed into the PCV system and filters out all the oil sludge that would normally just be sucked into the intake manifold. Just adds a extra thing to check every now and then.

If you wanna get it as clean as possible (what I wanna do myself once I get my SVT parts) delete the EGR (plus getting the sensor programmed out of the system) and install a oil catch can.

Hopefully everything I sad was correct but if not somebody will probably correct me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I think you are right, but how can we program it?

Because if the engine goes into failure mode we have a bigger problem than canceling the EGR

I don't see where the two tubes coming out of that sensor go, where do they go?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't really know how but I think you would need to go to a tuner and get the ECU reflashed. But I was told that it is possible.
I kinda wanna do that anyways because of some other stuff so that can be done at that point aswell. I don't know about you.

I don't think it would go into the safe mode since people block the EGR at the UIM to test if the EGR sensor works. It just throws out DTCs. You could probably just live with it if you don't have emissions testing where you live. And guessing you have a EU Cougar so your check engine light doesn't work anyway so you wouldn't even notice. Sadly I have emissons testing so I need to do that.

I haven't taken apart mine so I don't really know myself. And until that happens it'll probably take a while so I can't help with that. Sorry.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
About the emissions tests here for now last year they only looked at the quality of combustion (opacity) looking at the CO carbon monoxide and for older vehicles from 2002 I think it is at 0.5 and I do not know if I am wrong but to pass Well the test is important that the lambda probe and the MAF and MAP carry out a good combustion.

Once I asked how another car I have from 2001 could have such a good time with 260,000km a 1.9 TDI if the catalyst had to be in the last and they answered me at the ITV that they only look at the combustion and not the catalyst.

But of course this changes every day but I hope for new cars.

And if we make a 2mm drill to let pressure pass but few gases pass?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well thats good for you. Over here they meassure what comes out at the end.

Well we have emission classes for each year. It just needs to pass what it had to 20 years ago.

I don't know how that would work. Haven't evem thought about that because if the TÜV sees that it can go from failing to as far as tax evasion.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I do not know how your test is but here you put the meter pipe in the exhaust and the ITV technician fully depresses the accelerator of the car measuring the exhaust gases and when you fully accelerate the EGR would have to be closed, I think the measurement at idle is informal but this is not sure.

"failing to as far as tax evasion " = Is that what I think it means?

You already know that many German standards become European and lazily become Spanish.

Not all of course, the minimum wage and other things never come ...

As the Russian saying goes: when you see your neighbor's beard cut, put yours to soak ...

·
Registered
70 Posts
We also have a sensor in the exhaust pipe but they only go pedal to the metal on diesel cars. For petrol the use whats called raised idle so they stay at 3000-3500 (i think) which is exactly where EGR works.

If you try to just do something that alters the vehicles properties without any TÜV clearance its illegal. And since the emissions class says how much tax you pay for your car, altering it for the worse is like not paying your taxes and that ends really badly for any normal person.

In car terms at least we have the Autobahn to make up for all the bad.... if that even is enough to make up for it....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
So we can't override it?

Here the highways are 120 km / h and it is scary to go over 125 every day there are more radars and every few km the speed can become 100 or 80 or 110 with which as you get lost they catch you.

When I was young you could race but cars didn't run ...

If people used cars with common sense, speed would not be the culprit, but not people run where they can not run and where they can not run ...

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Yes, you can bypass the DPFE sensor without tuning. See the diagrams here:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know how it'll work in your country.
The thing is deleting the EGR usually is illegal over here but there is a loophole when swapping in an Engine that doesnt have a EGR system from the factory its possible. And since I am swapping the SVT stuff which is basically the same as the ST200 stuff on my engine I can use the emission report for the ST200 engine which doesn't have EGR and I can remove it. I talked to the TÜV inspector and he'll write on the papers for my car that I have a ST200 engine and without taking the thing completley apart no one can see that it isn't.

The speed limits on the Autobahn also increase all the time. Its not everywhere that you can go as fast as you can go. But radars are only sometimes used and they always have signs to let people know.

Well I am still young and glad I can experience it as long as it'll last. There are already politicians trying to give a general speed limit for the Autobahn and yes they are hated for the most part which is the way it should be.

Trust me even people over here are stupid enough to not use their mirrors or just be assholes or whatever.

Well good to know you can bypass it without tuning. Didn't even know that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thanks, the trick is very interesting, now it is necessary to see if the car would pass the anti-pollution tests, I think that when I finish it first I will pass the normal test, I will look at the result and if there is margin I will think about it for the next

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I never advise anyone to put themselves at risk with the law.
However...
Using a simple EGR delete plate and cap like those found in this thread:

Along with the vacuum routing shown in the thread I linked previously, you could easily restore everything to normal before going for your inspection, then put it back after the inspection. Its really only a few minutes worth of work once the exhaust tube connected to the rear manifold has been removed.

Or...realistically, I doubt they would even catch it to tell the truth. The PCM thinks everything is normal so the shop probably will too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was told EGR wouldn't affect it that much that you wouldn't pass. Of course if you have people at the shop that you trust (for example I work at a Ford Dealer and they do emissions testing but they also have gotten cars from friends of workers or cars of workers themself through emissions testing that would 100% not pass.... if the ways they did that was legal or not I won't comment on....) you can test if you pass and if not just open it back up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Well, if putting and removing the plate is two screws and two minutes

And change the vacuum tubes I suppose it is to do it a couple of times, I suppose that the tubes that do not connect to the DPFE have to be plugged and the inlet that is left unconnected in the DPFE has to be open?

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
If you use the cap and flange linked above, you would remove the entire EGR pipe like this:

That pipe looks like this:

As an alternative, you could leave that pipe in place, plug the two ends that lead to the DPFE, and put a solid gasket in the EGR valve flange instead of taking it out. That would virtually guarantee that nobody would ever spot it.

41 - 60 of 120 Posts