New Cougar Forum banner
261 - 270 of 270 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
It looks like the pads for both cars are roughly the same size. And the pistons are the same size too. Not sure what the benefit would be unless it allows thicker pads or rotors...
I've never felt like my brakes weren't adequate for the street. I'm pretty sure I could lock up my tires in most conditions if ABS was disabled. I hear stainless braided hoses make a big difference for the cost.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
The brake pads are larger, they are adjusted for the 300mm disc, although in the drawing they seem similar, the contact material is wider and a little longer, the piston is smaller instead of 60 it has 57mm
If the spacing of the caliper fixing screws is the same, it would only be to change the disc for the ST170 and mount this caliper.

You're right that the stock cougar, with its 278mm front and 252mm rear disc brakes very well in normal use.
This is something I think for fun or aesthetics

The Jaguar X-Type and S-Type were sold a lot in Spain in those Pre-Bubble years, and now it is easy and inexpensive to find second-hand parts for those cars.

I wonder if I could buy a full 3.0 engine and use its engine block and pistons

Or if adapting-converting the electronics to a CAN BUS to use that complete engine would take many hours or years of work ...

Future projects ... future dreams ... these days I have to start with the IMRC again ...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Looking for the cars that use that brake pad I have seen that the contour-mondeo MK3 uses that pad with that disc and that caliper.
And it is the same one used by the Ford ST220 model

Knowing this I think it will be easier for me to buy the knuckle of the MK3 mondeo

I think our cougar chronologically and in engineering are in the middle of these cars all from Ford
Mondeo MK2-Cougar-Mondeo MK3
Jaguar S-Type-Cougar-Mondeo-Jaguar X-type

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Are you thinking you want to try to adapt the whole knuckle? If its just brakes and 5-lug hubs you want, take a look at this thread

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
I don't want to change the whole knuckle just to see if I can change the brake calipers.

But now that you say it, I think that to change the whole knuckle it would be best to mount an axle shaft? with the tip of the cougar gearbox on one side and the mondeo on the other.

Doing this would be very greasy but easy

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Hi, I don't have time for more but the 300mm Ford Mondeo-Contour caliper measurements seem compatible.
When I have time to clean the new cougar knuckle, disassemble it, mount the ST170 300mm disc and mount the Mondeo-Contour brake caliper, we will leave doubts.

The rest of the knuckle is not the same but it seems "adaptable" it moves 1cm more from the shock absorber to the brake disc and the steering linkage is 1cm longer, it also has the ABS sensor in the bearing but although I think it could be adapted for now it is not in my thoughts.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle

Wood Gas Machine tool Machine Milling

Wood Font Art Automotive tire Sculpture

Photograph Wood Gas Auto part Snapshot

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Hello since I saw the photos of a duratec with an "adapted" compressor I always think about it, if it is not easier to put it on top and things like that ...
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Light Hood
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Vehicle

But I don't know anything about compressors,
Question:
Has anyone put a compressor on top of the cylinder head on a cougar?
Where can I learn about compressors? I suppose that the engine displacement demands the characteristics of the compressor?
How are compressors measured?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,302 Posts
there isnt really room to put one on top unless you but it where the UIM is, but you would have to have an adaptor. You could mount one where the AC compressor is, or where the vortech kit is, mounted on top of the trans with a jackshaft that runs across the motor

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Any attempts at forced induction on these cars will be a 100% custom fabrication at this point unless you stumble across someone selling an old setup. Your fabrication skills will decide which way is easiest for you.

A top-mounted blower only sounds easy on paper. There's probably a reason nobody has ever done it. I agree that its probably possible, and might even be the simplest in the long run, but the custom intake manifold required is not something a lot of people are interested in figuring out. Power steering would also require a custom solution but there are multiple ways to skin that cat.

This thread on the Puma forum is an interesting read about trying to install a Supercharger in a location very similar to our Air Conditioning compressor. Many of the problems he was trying to solve are directly applicable to us, and it would be good research for someone trying to go that route.

Jaged uses a jackshaft and has been pretty successful with it. Beans had a pretty good build thread about the same setup.
Motor vehicle Gas Nut Window Automotive super charger part

LaserCougar had an interesting design

Motor vehicle Light Gas Electrical wiring Engineering

BlackCoog used a similar design:

Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

261 - 270 of 270 Posts