New Cougar Forum banner
201 - 220 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
1998 V6 MTX Ebony Black Wild at Heart Trim
114 Posts
Marcus
A question you know this market, the intake, the butterfly, the ECU of the mondeo ST200 is the same as that of the Cougar SVT?
As far as I know the Mondeo ST200 Parts are mostly the same as the Contour SVT Parts, just have different part numbers.
SVT/ST200 lower intake manifold with the butterfly valves are the same as the newer Cougars 2.5 (2495cm³ not 2544cm³)
ECU is different because of different markets/options/requirements and Emission Standarts.
SVT came with Returnless and Return-Style Fuel System and the ST200 only came with Returnless.
And the Contour SVT has a different air filter box.
But everything should fit everything.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Is that online sometimes I see in the junkyards that enter contour ST200 the 205cv and they have sent me this photo and it seems that it is 55mm like that of our cougars, I thought it would be the 60mm of the SVT, in the end I will have to take it to the turner to rectify it to 60mm.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Best bet is probably to buy from someone over here. Shipping wont be too bad, it should fit in a small box. Plus we will make sure you get the right throttle cable and bracket.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
There are several on Ebay if nobody here has one they can part with.

Note the large plastic actuator that pulls from the bottom of the throttle instead of the top. That's what your looking for.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Hello, I would like to buy it, but when I enter EBAY.ES, things change.
Item Price 55.6USD = € 46.96
Shipping 112,47USD = 95 €
+ Customs Management Expenses and VAT 21%

They take away the desire ...

But if I have seen this other times:
Mondeo st200 st24 Cougar ampliada Acelerador Cuerpo 60mm | eBay
They usually cost around € 200
It is a normal throttle body that is "rectified or machined on the lathe" by making a new circular plate. If I find a neat and eager lathe, I don't think it will be more expensive to make and that is how the current cable is worth it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Well, the car insurance is over and I already have the garage full of junk for the move, so I have no car ...

My action plan is:

Work in :
Install the new IACV
Repair the IMRC
Mount the throttle body that I have improved while waiting to get the 60mm
Design a cold box for the new air filter
Get the elastic supports of the exhaust pipe that I put some generic ones but they can be loosened since they are a little wider.
Does anyone know the reference of the originals?

Daydreaming:
I've finished watching B3NN3TT's entry "2021 Autocross build" and I'm still dreaming
Those wheels
That interior that already looks like a racing car ...
And that way to improve the grip of the rear axle ...

B3NN3TT I did not want to tell you anything in your post in case it was something incomprehensible with the corrected translator English I use, I didn't want to spoil your post
But how do I know you read mine I ask you.

I have bought the 300mm Focus ST front discs but I see that you use special calipers, can you recommend a kit that can be easily adapted?

Can you tell me which reference of D2 shock absorbers you mount?

After having driven the car on my way to work these days, I draw the conclusions that the car is very fast and stable at medium-high speeds but in a slow corner circuit it is heavy and with a bad distribution of weights, the rear axle is bouncy And the front has all the work for which regulating the damping, lightening the car and putting weight behind is important.

And already put to dream of a version to NOT circulate on the street

That every day I have more clear in looking for a second cougar that is better than the one I have and the one that is worse to use for this ...

Sports seats far back, as long as my legs allow, maybe I need to lengthen the steering wheel.

Remove all the interior, upholstery, plastics, ... including the dashboard and mount a display with the ODB2 data

A safety cage structure that reinforces the damping struts

Fire extinguisher and battery in the trunk
A small, homologated gas tank in the trunk

Change the bonnet for a fiber vented one

Change crystals for polycarbonate

Remove from the engine everything that is not used: air conditioning, heating ...

Could we go down to 1100kg?

The good news is that such a car does not need to be legal if it is not going to be on the road so it would need a trailer.

The downside is that going on free days at the racing circuits is not cheap here and its speed is medium high where power and braking work is more important and it is a different tuning than that of the slow corners ...
The good thing is that the road I use to go to work is included within the sections of the "Rally Costa de Almería" The bad thing is that to participate you have to have your kit and car approved with the federation regulations and of course that is another level of economic expenditure and driving as well as cars suitable for that use, they are usually very light and more tuned to control lateral slippage than to avoid it.

In the end, so much law, so much homologation, so much regulation, only means that normal people do not participate in motor sports, and fewer people follow them, which is why they tend to disappear ...
And day-to-day life on normal roads is not the place to do unsafe things either ... you can't "release?"

In that and other things you are very lucky, Autocross is something great ...

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Product Rectangle Electronic device Metal Magenta
Product Font Art Engineering Rectangle
Automotive lighting Circuit component Font Electronic component Cylinder

Citroen AX, Rally valle del Almanzora 2020

This is not me, these are the same roads I use to get to work. If it goes faster than me

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,934 Posts
Now you're talking about something like Eric's CTCC Cougar -

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,934 Posts
Yeah I’m using all stock V6 sport calipers with an adapter to move them out from the hub to fit the big rotors under them. If I were doing it again I would just get the complete ST170 calipers and a couple of washers; I think the adapters are too much work to get aligned.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
I would love to find some large rear rotors that don't cost a ton and are an easy conversion. The stock ones on my green car look ridiculous with the 13" brakes in the front and very open 18" wheels.
The Focus has a 280mm rear option but its a solid rotor instead of vented, and half the width of ours so I imagine it would overheat too quickly, and also require the focus caliper.
Putting the 300mm front rotors on the rear is tempting but I don't really like the idea of grinding a quarter inch off the pads in order to use them...

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,934 Posts
The 278s on the rear are ok. That’s my setup.

TCE sells a larger kit, but it still uses the stock caliper, and costs $600. I mean it does use an aluminum rotor hat to save weight, but the front weight bias is bad enough already.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Now you're talking about something like Eric's CTCC Cougar -

If I like that car.
I think the inner tubular structure is a bit strange and it still has the dashboard.
The aerodynamics are very rudimentary, the nose has no angle, it uses the same ventilation, without air vents on the bonnet and it is very flat and I don't know if the underbody is fairings and the rear air outlet on the underbody is a brake and that spoiler for However big it is, it only creates resistance, in fast races the aerodynamics must be studied very well.
But it has a custom tubular rear suspension and I'd love to see that ...
And White is a color that I love for racing

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 · (Edited)
Actually, I think I have a set of those caliper relocation brackets that I could part with if your interested.
The support of the brake caliper of the Focus ST170 or Mazda is something impossible to find, it has to exist I do not say that it does not, but without the reference no, these cars were not sold here and the few that exist are highly valued, the Spanish driver Carlos Sainz won the World Rally Championship. He had one of those and it was a dream.

That of adapting with a plate is easy, but is it proven? hold? I suppose that the important thing is the precision of the drills and the quality of the screws, it is an interesting topic

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 · (Edited)
Yeah I’m using all stock V6 sport calipers with an adapter to move them out from the hub to fit the big rotors under them. If I were doing it again I would just get the complete ST170 calipers and a couple of washers; I think the adapters are too much work to get aligned.
I read it wrong, I thought I was mounting aluminum calipers with multiple pistons.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 · (Edited)
I would love to find some large rear rotors that don't cost a ton and are an easy conversion. The stock ones on my green car look ridiculous with the 13" brakes in the front and very open 18" wheels.
The Focus has a 280mm rear option but its a solid rotor instead of vented, and half the width of ours so I imagine it would overheat too quickly, and also require the focus caliper.
Putting the 300mm front rotors on the rear is tempting but I don't really like the idea of grinding a quarter inch off the pads in order to use them...

I have always thought of passing the 278 front discs to the rear, but it would take the adapter, a larger splash plate (painted the color of the disc as I did mine) and I don't know if the parking brake cable would cause problems.

In any case, in my case I usually drive avoiding braking, what I like is that it passes quickly through the curves

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 · (Edited)
Los 278 de la parte trasera están bien. Esa es mi configuración.

The 278s on the rear are ok. That’s my setup.

TCE sells a larger kit, but it still uses the stock caliper, and costs $600. I mean it does use an aluminum rotor hat to save weight, but the front weight bias is bad enough already.
I'm not in a hurry with the car stopped but if I can I would like to see a photo of the 278 discs in the back to see how it looks, without the steering wheel of course.

What if you tell me the reference model number of the D2 shocks?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,934 Posts
I read it wrong, I thought I was mounting aluminum calipers with multiple pistons.
That is for next season, yes. I've had the 300mm ST170 rotors in the front for the past 15 years or so now, with adapter brackets for the stock calipers. The original 278mm front calipers were moved to the rear with adapters there for the stock rear calipers as well.

What if you tell me the reference model number of the D2 shocks?
These are D2's RS coilovers, D-FO-13, for the Mondeo/Contour. Oddly, D2s website lists a separate part number for the Cougar kit, D-FO-23. Perhaps they provide a different set of spring rates for those; otherwise there would be no difference in the struts. Regardless, my spring rates are not off-the-shelf for the application; mine have 11k front, 9k rear, so it's all custom-built.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Hello, thanks for the reference, I could not find them, with that reference I get two photos that my imagination does not get to see how they are, but for $ 1000 they are fine because they are 4 shock absorbers, 4 springs and adapters.
I don't understand the phrase: "my spring rates are not off-the-shelf for the application"

201 - 220 of 281 Posts