New Cougar Forum banner
181 - 186 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Two days of use, my first impressions:

1º With all the suspension renewal that I have done, the car goes like a train, it is very flat in the curves, it does not wobble, I can make a complete turn to a round (roundabout) with the car practically flat and that makes all the I work on the grip for the tires, it is normal to hear them complaining in the curves, I have mounted very bad and old tires that do not convey confidence to me.
I think that the 205/55/16 that I am riding is visually and dynamically narrow but of course the options are to mount a Michelin Pilot of that size that are very well priced and give very good grip or to test with wider rims and sizes .. .

2º Because of this above and because the direction is not well aligned, I notice the direction very nervous, but precise, if it transmits the feeling of the road to me? I do not know, you want to lower the pressure of the tires a bit, I still do not know, what if it generates a feeling of driving at a higher speed than driving, on the mountain road that takes me to work, this The road is very slow and with many curves, ups and downs, I have the feeling of going fast but when I see the speed it is almost the same as the one I use with my daily car.

3º I am used to circulating in the range of 2500-3500rpm with cars of less power and playing with the manual gearbox to go at the right power for a quiet-economical behavior, with this car without realizing it I am going to 1500-2500rpm and in very gears long, I hardly need to change gears in all gears it has strength.
The problem is that when I need to overtake (two-way mountain roads and a single lane) when going so low RPM and in high gear I have to downshift to have a quick response since I am not going at medium speed but at very low regime
I know this is not the fault of the car and if a vice of the driver.

4º I cannot know at what RPM I go with my ear, in other cars I know how the sound of the engine is proportional to the RPM, in this car at low the engine does not sound at all at medium speed "roars" and at medium high it does almost same noise (I have not exceeded 5500 and I have bad IMRC) I suppose that above 5500 rpm it will make a higher noise, one of my children wants me to change the exhaust silencer and remove the PRE CAT from the exhaust manifold ( that with 216,000km they only have to brake the gases) to hear the engine well.
Maybe he is right but that will wait until he can lift the car well in the future.

5º Today I have seen when I get to work that I have a very hard radiator hose and I think the fault is shown, everything seems that the explosion chamber and the coolant circuit are communicated?

6º In the ITV they told me that the gas test that they did at 2500 rpm gave 1 that is the result of a perfect mixture of air and gasoline, even so it is giving me a consumption of 8.4L / 100km in an economical driving when going To work with 20% city 80% Mountain road, maybe it affects that I do not know what RPM range is better to take it on these roads. I do not know if it would consume me less to circulate in a lower gear in the slow sections.
With my other car, a citroen C elysee, with a 3-cylinder engine, 1.2L atmospheric 82cv, gasoline, variable intake and exhaust and 1055kg on this route makes me a consumption of 5L / 100 km

7º When turning the direction to the top, making direction changes in parking lots, the tire makes a strange noise, I don't know if it is because of the alignment of the direction by the tire or because I still need to tighten the transmission nuts.

8º Since I know that the car is not going to explode with the Moosing it does it a little less, If it is when I take my foot off the accelerator and when he wants it, it is as if he were alive, especially he does it near pedestrians and cyclists. Next week I will get with him.

9º Next week I will be able to repair the IMRC I really want to repair this but in normal driving the car does not exceed 4000 rpm (fear of traffic fines.)

10º There are versions of the Mondeo-Contour that have a 6-speed gearbox, does anyone know if it is adaptable?
With that strength it lacks gears I have the feeling that in 5th gear everything could be done

·
Registered
1998 V6 MTX Ebony Black Wild at Heart Trim
92 Posts
I have driven up hills at 1500rpms in 5th gear and it just goes and goes and goes.

Driving over 5500rpms is still so weird to me because in my head I need to shift but I still have 750 rpms left to get to max power and since its not really the fastest revving engine it feels really long. But I also already have revved it out to redline and up there you can instantly hear and feel when power starts to go away. Still tho right outside of the town I live in is a roundabout and when I come home from work its not that unusual for me to go into second and just "pedal to the metal" it out of that roundabout on to the straight and just let it ripp up to 6500rpms. THAT is when the Cougar feels extremly fast. First the Forces from the turn, then all of the torque just pushing you into the seat..... plus I don't go alot over 100km/h in second gear

I get around 8L/100km if I can hold myself back. And honestly for what kind of car you have its not that bad since its advertised to get 9,5L/100km. Some are getting 10L/100km or 11L/100km plus my Fathers Ranger with the small 2.2L Diesel also gets 10L/100km so I can't complain.

(I know its late but) I looked into my owners manual for tire pressure. First half ("Normalbelastung bis 3 Personen) is for having two passengers or some stuff loaded up in the trunk so basically daily driving. Second half ("Volle Belastung über 3 Personen") is having 3 passengers and your trunk fully loaded so basically road trip/vacation. "vorn" means front and "hinten" means rear. AND its only in bar AND only when the tires are cold. It only lists the stock tire size, stock WINTER tire size and the spare tire. We can drive different sizes but they need to be either greenlit by Ford or the tire manufacturer has to give you the paperwork for MOT (TÜV).

I have looked around about the 6-Speed fitting but haven't found anything. Seems like no one tried. But I think it won't be a big problem fitting it to the engine since the 5-Speed MTX-75 which is stock on the V6 Cougar was also used on the Mondeo ST220, which had the 3.0L in it, in the first few years and works on the 3.0L blocks and as far as I know they didn't change anything when swapping to the 6-Speed so it should all be the same with getting it to the engine but I think the drive shafts could be a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Two days of use, my first impressions:

1º With all the suspension renewal that I have done, the car goes like a train, it is very flat in the curves, it does not wobble, I can make a complete turn to a round (roundabout) with the car practically flat and that makes all the I work on the grip for the tires, it is normal to hear them complaining in the curves, I have mounted very bad and old tires that do not convey confidence to me.
I think that the 205/55/16 that I am riding is visually and dynamically narrow but of course the options are to mount a Michelin Pilot of that size that are very well priced and give very good grip or to test with wider rims and sizes .. .

2º Because of this above and because the direction is not well aligned, I notice the direction very nervous, but precise, if it transmits the feeling of the road to me? I do not know, you want to lower the pressure of the tires a bit, I still do not know, what if it generates a feeling of driving at a higher speed than driving, on the mountain road that takes me to work, this The road is very slow and with many curves, ups and downs, I have the feeling of going fast but when I see the speed it is almost the same as the one I use with my daily car.
I went from 225/-/17 to 205/-/16 and the narrower tires felt noticeably less grippy, even when brand new. The narrower tires might have some advantage in snow but that's probably not a concern for you so yes, a wider tire would perform better.

More important than getting a wider tire though is getting an adequate tire and an alignment. If saving for wheels is going to take much longer than saving for tires, just get the tires and worry about wheels later. Nothing else on your suspension is more important than the tires.

4º I cannot know at what RPM I go with my ear, in other cars I know how the sound of the engine is proportional to the RPM, in this car at low the engine does not sound at all at medium speed "roars" and at medium high it does almost same noise (I have not exceeded 5500 and I have bad IMRC) I suppose that above 5500 rpm it will make a higher noise, one of my children wants me to change the exhaust silencer and remove the PRE CAT from the exhaust manifold ( that with 216,000km they only have to brake the gases) to hear the engine well.
Maybe he is right but that will wait until he can lift the car well in the future.
Gutting the pre-cats is a great idea. If I ever buy another one of these cars, that will be one of the first things I do. Instant improvement in power, sound, and gas mileage with almost no cost.

5º Today I have seen when I get to work that I have a very hard radiator hose and I think the fault is shown, everything seems that the explosion chamber and the coolant circuit are communicated?
Are you saying you have a head gasket leak? That would be something to address right away. The good news is that it will be a good opportunity to install those SVT cams!

6º In the ITV they told me that the gas test that they did at 2500 rpm gave 1 that is the result of a perfect mixture of air and gasoline, even so it is giving me a consumption of 8.4L / 100km in an economical driving when going To work with 20% city 80% Mountain road, maybe it affects that I do not know what RPM range is better to take it on these roads. I do not know if it would consume me less to circulate in a lower gear in the slow sections.
With my other car, a citroen C elysee, with a 3-cylinder engine, 1.2L atmospheric 82cv, gasoline, variable intake and exhaust and 1055kg on this route makes me a consumption of 5L / 100 km
You already know you have a bad IMRC, probably a leaking IACV, and maybe a leaking head gasket so mileage numbers probably don't mean much right now. You should be close to 8 when everything is running right.
There's lots of information on the internet for improving mileage, but it all starts with making the car run right. As for gear choices; RPM is the proverbial elephant in the room when it comes to mileage. Lower RPM = better mileage but you need to balance that with retaining the torque you need for conditions.

10º There are versions of the Mondeo-Contour that have a 6-speed gearbox, does anyone know if it is adaptable?
Theoretically possible but six speeds don't really offer any performance benefit so it's probably not worth the trouble unless you will be putting on a lot of miles at high speed.
https://www.fordcontour.org/topic/12852-6-speed-units/
The real trouble will be in converting the front suspension to fit the new drive train. Our axles dont fit that transmission, I don't think the Mondeo axles fit our bearings, and I don't think the MK3 Mondeo bearings fit our knuckles. We also don't know if the different transmission would fit in our subframe, or if it would interfere with the steering rack or anything else down there.
Could be wrong though 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,716 Posts
As far as the 6-speed transaxle -

I believe they still register the same RPMs in top gear on the highway (about 3000 RPMs at 70 MPH), so the only change is that it makes you shift more times to get there.

Usually more gears are added when the engine has a peaky power band, so you can more easily keep the engine at an optimal RPM level. The 2.5 has a rather broad torque curve, and doesn't need the extra gears for performance, so it's not really worth the trouble to make one fit if you ask me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
3rd day of use:

If you are right, the 6-speed gearbox is a lot of work for something that does not provide much advantage.

If Marcus feels too long the rev range.

I think that when I can work on the exhaust line to hear the car well and know what RPM it is at.

I have the feeling that in low I drive a very quiet car and at mid-range it growls equal to 3000 than at 5000 rpm and since it has strength in any gear and RPM I don't know in which gear I'm going or at what revs I'm going I have to look at the clock on the dashboard...

And according to the manual, I have to lower the pressure a little, I put 2.4 and 2.6 on it, but I feel it very hard, especially in the back with those long springs, lowering a little pressure I will feel the road more and a little sway that seems to go on rails the curves.

Biggest or best tire is going to lag, snow what's that? some snow would be needed these days ...

The steering alignment will wait

The IACV is surely wrong because when I turned on the air conditioning it stopped me at city traffic lights, the RPM dropped a lot

The IACV is not going to wait because Moosing seems to be alive and it does it when it is most embarrassing and it is not expensive either.

Today the coolant was darker, it has barely done 200km, it has gone from being the pink-red G12 to strawberry-cherry red

This has hurt me, but yes, sometimes the truth does not blind us, when I bought the car I saw the tensioner of the water pump pulley was broken and held by a screw and a plate. The normal thing is that when this broke the pump it stopped rotating and the engine got hotter than normal and when I saw that the thermostatic valve had broken it is usually to hide the failure, but there is nothing like wishing that something was not like it you see...

Since I have moved from the city to where I am now, I can't work on the car (if I know, there are people who do it on the street fast and well, but I don't have that super power)

So for many months I will be building a garage-metal shed, on the land of a relative, to have a lot of space and to be able to lift the car and repair the engine.

But I wonder, if while I'm not interested in saving and buying another cougar, let's see if this one doesn't have a bad head gasket and then exchange the best parts ...

I forget, it is difficult for me to put the first gear, it is as if it were a little to the right, is it normal?

Thanks again everyone for your responses ...

181 - 186 of 186 Posts