New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1998 V6 MTX Ebony Black Wild at Heart Trim
120 Posts
If you need any Interior Parts message me I got all kinds of Panels, Cables, Switches, Seats and most other stuff out of the Interior out of a dissassembled one

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am doing a SVT Intake Swap and I'll swap out the cable. So I would have the stock manual Transmission cable and I won't need it anymore. If you want to wait a little I can sell you the cable and all the other parts I'm taking off if there is anything else you need. Otherwise the parts would just lay around.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As far as I know (since I wanna do that myself) the dirt inside the Intake Manifold comes from partially the EGR and partially the PCV system.

You can get EGR delete plates for the Intake Manifold from eBay (gaskets included) but the sensor would need to programmed (which is possible since the facelifted motors didn't have EGR anymore in the EU) out of the ECU otherwise you will get error codes since the pressure isn't correct anymore.
For the PCV system you would need to install a oil catch can. It gets installed into the PCV system and filters out all the oil sludge that would normally just be sucked into the intake manifold. Just adds a extra thing to check every now and then.

If you wanna get it as clean as possible (what I wanna do myself once I get my SVT parts) delete the EGR (plus getting the sensor programmed out of the system) and install a oil catch can.

Hopefully everything I sad was correct but if not somebody will probably correct me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't really know how but I think you would need to go to a tuner and get the ECU reflashed. But I was told that it is possible.
I kinda wanna do that anyways because of some other stuff so that can be done at that point aswell. I don't know about you.

I don't think it would go into the safe mode since people block the EGR at the UIM to test if the EGR sensor works. It just throws out DTCs. You could probably just live with it if you don't have emissions testing where you live. And guessing you have a EU Cougar so your check engine light doesn't work anyway so you wouldn't even notice. Sadly I have emissons testing so I need to do that.

I haven't taken apart mine so I don't really know myself. And until that happens it'll probably take a while so I can't help with that. Sorry.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well thats good for you. Over here they meassure what comes out at the end.

Well we have emission classes for each year. It just needs to pass what it had to 20 years ago.

I don't know how that would work. Haven't evem thought about that because if the TÜV sees that it can go from failing to as far as tax evasion.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We also have a sensor in the exhaust pipe but they only go pedal to the metal on diesel cars. For petrol the use whats called raised idle so they stay at 3000-3500 (i think) which is exactly where EGR works.

If you try to just do something that alters the vehicles properties without any TÜV clearance its illegal. And since the emissions class says how much tax you pay for your car, altering it for the worse is like not paying your taxes and that ends really badly for any normal person.

In car terms at least we have the Autobahn to make up for all the bad.... if that even is enough to make up for it....

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know how it'll work in your country.
The thing is deleting the EGR usually is illegal over here but there is a loophole when swapping in an Engine that doesnt have a EGR system from the factory its possible. And since I am swapping the SVT stuff which is basically the same as the ST200 stuff on my engine I can use the emission report for the ST200 engine which doesn't have EGR and I can remove it. I talked to the TÜV inspector and he'll write on the papers for my car that I have a ST200 engine and without taking the thing completley apart no one can see that it isn't.

The speed limits on the Autobahn also increase all the time. Its not everywhere that you can go as fast as you can go. But radars are only sometimes used and they always have signs to let people know.

Well I am still young and glad I can experience it as long as it'll last. There are already politicians trying to give a general speed limit for the Autobahn and yes they are hated for the most part which is the way it should be.

Trust me even people over here are stupid enough to not use their mirrors or just be assholes or whatever.

Well good to know you can bypass it without tuning. Didn't even know that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was told EGR wouldn't affect it that much that you wouldn't pass. Of course if you have people at the shop that you trust (for example I work at a Ford Dealer and they do emissions testing but they also have gotten cars from friends of workers or cars of workers themself through emissions testing that would 100% not pass.... if the ways they did that was legal or not I won't comment on....) you can test if you pass and if not just open it back up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Two of mine broke off a few weeks ago..... couldn't find any since. Had to use a little glue so the water doesn't flood everything up there.

Probably something Cougar exclusive again.

I don't think wood getting wet is a good idea.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I actually saw some with a roof rack at the german cougarfest. Doesn't look to bad but surely interesting.
Since the Cougar is basically a two door Mondeo they gave it all the options a Mondeo had aswell. Which also means you could also put a trailer hitch on the Cougar.
You can even still buy them with the harness and everything. Towing was rated to 1500kg.
I was actually thinking of getting the roof rack and trailer hitch (a removable one if course) just because Ford made it available.....just because why not. Who else has a trailer hitch and roof rack for their sports coupe.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Actually by the way how did you get the roof rack Rail off of the roof without damaging it? I have a leak where rain water enters the car and its probably coming from under that rail.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Since most of the people on here probably don't have automatic climate control its probably just useful for europeans and the ones doing a conversion. But yes the automatic climate controls do have their own diagnostic mode. It can give you error codes for the electronic system.

Steps to activate:

(1) Ignition on
(2) Set the fan speed to AUTO
(3) Turn the fan on the windshield (all the way to the right)
(4) Briefly press the red button and AC button simultaneously and release again
(5) Briefly press the blue button
(6) Then "strange" characters appear, that takes about 30 seconds.
(7) The error is then displayed

Error Codes:

20 22
Short circuit in heater flap servomotor circuit

24 25
Fault in the heating flap servomotor control

Short circuit in the interior sensor circuit

High resistance interior temperature sensor

40 42
Short circuit outside temperature sensor circuit

41 43
High resistance outside temperature sensor circuit

50 52
Short circuit in sun sensor circuit

53 59
Sun sensor measured value is not supplied

60 62
Fault in the interior temperature sensor of the fan circuit

63 69
Indoor temperature sensor measured value is not supplied

70 72
Short circuit in engine cooling temperature sensor circuit (air conditioning)

71 73
High resistance in engine cooling temperature sensor circuit (air conditioning)

NFF (no error found)

90 99
Internal error

Credits to @RedCougarGirl. She has alot of Instruction on her site redcougar.de. Unfortunately its all in German but Google Translate can help you guys with that haha.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but the purpose of the Variable Intake Runners is to increase torque at low RPMs with using the long intake runners (closed) and increase torque at high RPMs using the short intake runners (open) plus it varies the fuel mixture according to what setting is currently active.

So for you it depends on how the emissions test is made. In Germany gasoline cars get tested between 2500 and 3000 RPMs aswell as Idle (740-750 RPMs) so in my case it would be best to leave them closed because I won't reach the RPM Range for the IMRC to open the short runners. Otherwise it would mess up the fuel mixture and thats definetly not what you want during emission testing.

In conclusion set it to the setting where it would be if the IMRC would work right because thats what the ECU is best set up for.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am pretty sure the system can kinda detect that the IMRC is not working correct and probably limits it somehow otherwise I think the cars wouldn't just drive normally except no power when up top of the RPM range. I mean if somethings wrong you get a DTC Code so there has to be something. Otherwise the changed timing would probably damage something if you tried going over 3500 RPMs with a broken IMRC I'm guessing.
I am not an Ford engineer... hell not even a qualified mechanic so what I know just comes from self teaching, the little experience I had from owning one for around a year, community told knowledge and the Internet (and some stuff I picked up in mechanic school where I am right now).
Just know if you don't go over 3500 RPM just leave them closed for now and thats at least something I can say with confidence.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have driven up hills at 1500rpms in 5th gear and it just goes and goes and goes.

Driving over 5500rpms is still so weird to me because in my head I need to shift but I still have 750 rpms left to get to max power and since its not really the fastest revving engine it feels really long. But I also already have revved it out to redline and up there you can instantly hear and feel when power starts to go away. Still tho right outside of the town I live in is a roundabout and when I come home from work its not that unusual for me to go into second and just "pedal to the metal" it out of that roundabout on to the straight and just let it ripp up to 6500rpms. THAT is when the Cougar feels extremly fast. First the Forces from the turn, then all of the torque just pushing you into the seat..... plus I don't go alot over 100km/h in second gear

I get around 8L/100km if I can hold myself back. And honestly for what kind of car you have its not that bad since its advertised to get 9,5L/100km. Some are getting 10L/100km or 11L/100km plus my Fathers Ranger with the small 2.2L Diesel also gets 10L/100km so I can't complain.

(I know its late but) I looked into my owners manual for tire pressure. First half ("Normalbelastung bis 3 Personen) is for having two passengers or some stuff loaded up in the trunk so basically daily driving. Second half ("Volle Belastung über 3 Personen") is having 3 passengers and your trunk fully loaded so basically road trip/vacation. "vorn" means front and "hinten" means rear. AND its only in bar AND only when the tires are cold. It only lists the stock tire size, stock WINTER tire size and the spare tire. We can drive different sizes but they need to be either greenlit by Ford or the tire manufacturer has to give you the paperwork for MOT (TÜV).

I have looked around about the 6-Speed fitting but haven't found anything. Seems like no one tried. But I think it won't be a big problem fitting it to the engine since the 5-Speed MTX-75 which is stock on the V6 Cougar was also used on the Mondeo ST220, which had the 3.0L in it, in the first few years and works on the 3.0L blocks and as far as I know they didn't change anything when swapping to the 6-Speed so it should all be the same with getting it to the engine but I think the drive shafts could be a problem.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Marcus
A question you know this market, the intake, the butterfly, the ECU of the mondeo ST200 is the same as that of the Cougar SVT?
As far as I know the Mondeo ST200 Parts are mostly the same as the Contour SVT Parts, just have different part numbers.
SVT/ST200 lower intake manifold with the butterfly valves are the same as the newer Cougars 2.5 (2495cm³ not 2544cm³)
ECU is different because of different markets/options/requirements and Emission Standarts.
SVT came with Returnless and Return-Style Fuel System and the ST200 only came with Returnless.
And the Contour SVT has a different air filter box.
But everything should fit everything.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The original 278mm front calipers were moved to the rear with adapters there for the stock rear calipers as well.
Does the Handbrake still work? I was thinking about getting the bigger ones and moving the front ones to the back but for inspection I need my handbrake to work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts