New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
If you change the MAF you will need to tune the ECU to work with it.

For what it's worth, most of us with 3.0 swaps are still using the original 2.5 MAF sensor; it's not a known problem.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
On occasion I have used a needle to clear out the washer nozzles.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
The new rubber O-rings are pretty much always SMALLER than the ones you take off, because they grow and stretch with age.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
I would use the new rings and the old hats.

Put the o-rings on the injectors. If they are tight on the injector body, and can't easily be turned around or moved, that's step one.

Insert an injector into the lower manifold. If it is very snug, and does not pull out easily, and isn't able to be turned easily, then that is step two, and the o-rings are probably fine.

I usually have to put a little motor oil or petroleum jelly on the injector o-ring to get them to go into the lower manifold more easily, without binding or twisting the o-rings.

You can easily install the injectors and fuel rail into the lower manifold, bolt down the rail, and cycle the ignition several times (WITHOUT starting the engine) to see if there are any fuel leaks under pressure. If, after several key cycles, everything is dry - proceed to install the upper manifold and finish the job.

Reactions: Ricardo70

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
Depends on the wheel width. A 7” width probably won’t rub, but anything wider might.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
I think Ford Racing uses the Torsen diff, but it's mostly the same thing as the Quaife. There is another option from MFactory as well.

When I bought my Torsen, I searched for the Focus part, since those carried the MTX-75 through 2011 here in the US (good grief, that was still 10 years ago. I drive an ANTIQUE.)

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
243 crank hp is 206 to the wheels. My 3.0 is making that much. Dropped right in there, no wiring or retrofitting, plug and play. It’s from a 2005 Taurus with no VVT or any of that crap. Don’t make it harder than it needs to be.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
Yeah I had my 99 torn down to the bare metal all over and I've never seen such a thing. Is that one of the plugs in the floor pan or something?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
Huh, yeah - those aren't present on any US-spec Cougar I've ever seen. Interesting!

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
That bolt is too long to come out without dropping the cradle down below the fuel tank.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
You can use a deep socket (I think 15mm fits perfectly) to align the subframe to the unibody.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
The stock bar has a bend in it on one side to safely clear the fuel tank. There is no bend on the other side because the filler neck is on that side so the bar isn't as close to the fuel tank.

Yours looks perfectly normal to me. I don't think it's possible to bend that without ripping it off the car in the process; that's spring steel. It doesn't bend, it always springs back.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
You will have a lot greater range of motion on each rear hub if your sway bar is disconnected.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
Only one front brake has a sensor because they wear very consistently from side to side.

I think brake pad wear sensors were included on both rear wheels because of the potential of uneven wear due to parking brake cable issues.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
I think the fuel metering isn’t drastically different, but the spark timing is VERY different.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
I deleted the IMRC and the secondaries in my 3.0. My original dyno plot on the stock SVT tune showed a 30+ hp loss at about 4000-4500 RPMs, but there was no corresponding change in the air/ruel ratio. The guy doing the tune found that the timing was radically changed during the switch-over, and once he corrected that, I got my 30 hp back. Blue line is the stock tune with no IMRC, red line is the revised tune.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
That is probably the harmonic noise through the idle air control valve. If so, it will only happen when the throttle is closed. You can pinch the hose on the IACV when the noise is happening and that should make it stop.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
To solve the IACV noise issue, you only need to alter the airflow into the valve. You can use a longer hose, or insert a restriction into the hose; anything to change how the air is coming in.

The original hose has a z-shaped bend molded into it to control the harmonics. Some earlier Duratec engines had a separate harmonic chamber added on as well. It's a known phenomenon, and can be pretty shocking the first time you hear it. It was always a very common question on this forum in the past, and we usually referred to is as "moosing". There are countless threads and videos about moosing if you want to do a forum search.

It's not harming anything, so don't let it concern you; it's just unwanted noise, and it's easy to remedy.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
That throttle hang fix was one of the first mods I made to my car, right after installing the intake. It’s been in there for 19 years.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
As far as the 6-speed transaxle -

I believe they still register the same RPMs in top gear on the highway (about 3000 RPMs at 70 MPH), so the only change is that it makes you shift more times to get there.

Usually more gears are added when the engine has a peaky power band, so you can more easily keep the engine at an optimal RPM level. The 2.5 has a rather broad torque curve, and doesn't need the extra gears for performance, so it's not really worth the trouble to make one fit if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts