Better news : 65mm ( 70 actually.. Gee! ) TB off a 98 F150 is now fitted. It's way too much air and I didn't even port the manifold enough, but I just want the damn thing to run before leaving for training again. Had to cut and weld the throttle stop and clearance the manifold a bit, but it works.
eyes on saturday.. HAH. 2020 doesn't work like that.
one brake line, a battery charger, and a hose clamp later, it starts. and the exhaust leaks just as bad or nearly so. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. but it runs well-ish.that's good. I'm really not wanting to buy headers for this bastard - and headers cost as much as aftermarket manifolds!... it's got tires, wheels, brakes, and full suspension, including struts, not to mention the new clutch. but the engine isn't particularly happy. what a money pit! I wish the thing would run properly and just stop!... I'm not sure what I'll do next. make a throttle cable bracket, I guess - it has a 200X escape cable, so it needs one. no biggie.
I hate to say it, but i'm starting to fall out of love with this thing. a 2012 charger is 2500$ CAD here, now. that's not a lot of money for a decent automobile.
Thanks wade. I understand where you're coming from. admittedly, I have a problem with posting right after getting done, when I'm still emotionally involved. it actually idles quite well - I think it'll do. but I've been fighting exhaust leaks since I bought it, and I wish I could just replace the whole damn thing, front to back. it would certainly run a lot better.
It runs and drives. I made that bracket today. Took it for a test drive, I think it's not too sure how to act yet, but it runs clean, if a little slow. That's alright - I'll give the ECM time to get acquainted to the new Throttle position vs air volume values it's getting.
I left a huuuuuuuge power steering fluid stain pulling out. Whoops.
I was as giddy as a 4.year old, though. That manual steering will take some getting used to, but that was fun.
I have a tach, but No speedometer - is there a fuse for that, or did I bump the sensor? The VSS wires did look pretty sketchy.
fixed my horn issue - i'm running dual horns of an 04-05 Lincoln LS. the LS horns want a positive and a negative at their connector, but the Cougar is two horns wired in parallel - so red and yellow and red and black are BOTH positive wires. I had those wired wrong. whoops. that's solved now; I just cut and isolated the red/black wire and used red/yellow as my power source, and made a new ground wire.
took off the VSS and the wiring is frayed up near the sensor. it's a pretty obvious issue, which are the kind I like - easy to solve. I have a new sensor on the way. I still need to add an ear to my throttle cable bracket to mount the cruise control cable so I can have cruise, but that's pretty much it for now. it starts, runs and doesn't miss, the new shift cables feel great, the brakes are tight, the steering is tight (and manual for now..), the alternator charges, and the new tires feel good. glad to have my car back.
the bracket in question : it's a parallelogram bent in the middle to make a pair of triangles, with a pair of flat 90 degree bends at each end; one bolts onto the old EGR flange, one holds the cable. the cable is an 04 escape throttle cable, modified slightly so I can thread two zip ties into it to keep the sheath end flat against the flange. with a rib in the center of the bracket, it doesn't flex much. the pedal feels great, if very, very touchy. that's what a 70mm TB gets you. the manifold isn't even ported correctly to take advantage of the flow. it's pretty comical, but hey - it works. it took a few hours of dilligent work, but i'm proud - I made a custom thing, and it works. that's new.
the body is still rusty, but it doesn't look too awful from a few feet away. those are 09 focus 17x7s :
the engine bay is still a mess of wires, hoses, pipes, clamps, and zip ties. I'm excited to clean that up over time. as it is, having the battery out, a cold air intake, and the fuse box tucked in that spot feels nice. I've wanted that for years. I really need to clean up that inner fender - lots of surface rust and leftover undercoat. blegh.the foam I threw onto the positive cable is what I had - but I'd like to route it a little better and get the right sized stuff, and move the boost point to somewhere smarter and cleaner. the foam tucked up on the fender is the main wiring harness - it's out of the way of anything that might rub on it, I Like it a lot better there.
the intake is now undersized - that's 2.5'' piping, smaller than the TB AND the MAF - not to mention the accordion tube I had to cut, splice, and tape up to adapt to the new, way bigger TB. not exactly glamorous, but functional. another occasion to fabricate and weld. that accordion tube took forever to make without leaks.
I have a million more ideas and wants, but like Wade says - hey, maybe better to just solidify these gains before attempting more. I think I've had enough of working on this thing for a little bit. what a bloody rollercoaster of annoyance that was.
You certainly get the trophy for "Most industrial looking engine bay" LOL.
If you cant find a proper 2.5l IMRC cover, at least grab one of the 3.0 belt covers...No need to leave a broken hunk of plastic in there.
You could probably cut a few inches out of the intake pipe, use a MAF adapter and a silicon coupler to reconnect it a few inches closer to the fender, then get a silicon reducer and a little piece of pipe to adapt from an intact accordion tube up to the throttle size you need.
Seriously though, good work pushing progress through, we really would love to see this car at Fest whenever we have one again.
A forum community dedicated to New Edge Mercury Cougar owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about troubleshooting, builds, ZETEC, maintenance, performance, modifications, classifieds, and more!