New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Easiest way is to take it to a muffler shop and have them do it. I had mine done for about 35 bucks, and it only took them a half hour. The resonator is the muffler-looking part about midway down the exhaust, right under the shifter. They just cut mine out with the torch and welded in a piece of pipe that he bent to shape first. Gives my cat a nice rasp to it when it first starts, but then calms down once it's warmed up. My SOTP dnyo (seat of the pants) tells me it was a 1 or 2 horse increase. It was a quick and cheap mod that helped out a little.

Hope that helps.

Shawn

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, I was assuming he didn't have a pipe bender and a welder. If so, then by all means, hack it off. Otherwise like I said, easiest and painless to let the professionals do it for you.

Shawn

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Actually easiest way is just what was mentioned above, hack saw it. Cut it off and clamp on a straight pipe. You can get the smooth, straight pipe at any auto parts store, two clamps, a hack saw, twenty minutes and you are done. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
well that would work if the pipe were straight....i can't speak for any other than my own, but the inlet and outlet on the resonator (correct spelling, btw) are not lined up. i was actually under the car when it was cut off, examined the smoking remains after it fell to the garage floor, and watched the guy bend the pipe to get it all to line up.

like i said, this is how it went on my car. i don't have any reason to belive it would be different for any other, but you might want to look at it before you go spending money on straight pieces of pipe and clamps. and besides, why clamp it when you can have it welded?

shawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts