New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone said after gutting the precats you should reset the computer. should you do this after any major modifications and how is it done? any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
404 Posts
remove the negative (black) terminal from your battery for a few minutes. and then just re-attatch it. you will need to reset your clock, and your radio stations afterwards.

lAdZ

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
there is actually a way to do it without resetting the computer.... something is telling me engine fuse box #9 and 11 ..... or was it #11 and 13... anyhow it was something like that..... doing it this way and you don't need to redo the radio settigns (when you have a radio as mine you'll know what i mean)

·
Registered
719 Posts
the right way is to disconnect the pos and neg. and put them together and turn on the ingition. and hold the brake down for 15 min. this will discharg the computers back up capasitor...
by just disconnecting the negitive you will realy have to leave it about 2 hours...with the ing on till the capacitors discharg..its like the audio cap in a stereo sys it must show resistance
to discharg or the cap will stay charged, not just diconnecting the power.

·
Registered
404 Posts
mine was unplugged for 45 minutes while installing my intake and the computer was reset....im sure there are many ways to do it.

lAdZ

·
Registered
369 Posts
What exactly does resetting the computer do..if you have Mods...whats it gonna change?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could always just drop the ECU out, let it sit, over night and drop it back in in the morning ;).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by: AL
the right way is to disconnect the pos and neg. and put them together and turn on the ingition. and hold the brake down for 15 min. this will discharg the computers back up capasitor...
by just disconnecting the negitive you will realy have to leave it about 2 hours...with the ing on till the capacitors discharg..its like the audio cap in a stereo sys it must show resistance
to discharg or the cap will stay charged, not just diconnecting the power.
Doing this would also reset the check engine light, right?

Mine came on this evening and I think it was due to some bad gas as it shuttered for about 3 minutes w/ the check engine light flashing on and off and then it smoothed out and the check engine light stayed lit. After that I checked fluids just in case, added fuel injector cleaner and then I drove on the expressway and surface streets without issue. I want to try to reset and see if it comes back before paying someone to put it on a tester to see why the light came on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts