New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a complete "newbie" to my cougar, but I know that in its 56k mile life its never had its plugs or wires replaced and would like todo so. Can someone provide a good guide with pics on how todo this? Preferably by taking off the UIM and explanations on how to clean the UIM and so on... Thanks

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Check the FAQ in this section for removing the UIM. It's not necessary, but does make changing the plugs a bit easier. Also you could give it a good cleaning while its out. Plugs and wires are a straightforward install, just don't mix up the wires and you'll be fine.

Mike

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is involved with cleaning it? Also, what are good wires and plugs to get as a "performance" upgrade?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
To change the plugs, you need to removal the coil pack and the IMRC. The coil pack is towards the windshield and the IMRC box is underneath the duratec cover. With those two removed, you can see where the plugs are.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
It is not necessary to remove anything to change the plugs, except take the plastic engine cover off.

Mike

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
it is a pain. I must admit that my UIM was off when I changed the plugs too, but only because i was doing an SVT swap :)

Mike

·
Registered
627 Posts
i have no problem getting the plugs out with the coil pack in, on my 2000 (using proper length extensions)

why do you feel you need to change plugs and wires with so low miles anyway?????

you would better be served by inspecting the plugs, and if they are ok, regap and reinstall them. if the wires arent causing a miss, why spend the $100????

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I don't see y all u complain about doing plugs and wires on the Cougar. Its so easy with the right tools!!!! WOW just pick up the tools and do it already! I did mine twice already and never had a "problem"!

·
Registered
627 Posts
there should be a sticker under the hood, check it. mine says .032-.036 i believe. i always shoot for .034.

good luck

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
i tried searching whem i originally posted, never found it. All you basically have to do is remove the plastic engine cover, and IMRC. And unplug the big plug going into the coil pack. Spark plug wires take 1 minute. The replacements you buy are already cut to length and have the number on it (1-6) which corralates(spelling) to which spark plug that goes too... Just replace one wire at a time, while replacing that wire inbetween replace the spark plug. To remove the spark plug, just need 12" of extensions and a spark plug socket, which is a normal deep well socket with a rubber ring inside to "grip" onto the plug when you move it out

All tools needed:
3/8" ratchet
2 6" extensions
1 spark plug socket
1 10mm socket (for engine cover and IMRC)
6 spark plugs
spark plug wires
spark plug gapping tool

Some spark plugs you buy come pre gapped. I do not think the autolite double plat do, so you will have to gap them yourself, really easy. When i first changed my plugs, i was a total beginner and noob, and took me half an hour. I can now change them in 15 mins flat.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
I swapped plugs and wires on a MC NECO member's car when she was in PHX last year. I'd never done it before, and it was a piece of cake. No removing the UIM, no removing coil packs. Took me about 30 minutes or so. The most important tools are two (2) 6" extensions for the ratchet. With that, you can reach the back plugs w/o a problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i'll give it a shot. one of the new wires burnt out on my way back from jacksonville, i'm super p/o .i'm going to switch them out with the motorcraft wires and call it a day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.