New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't call myself an expert when it comes to auto performance, but what I do know, I've gotten from the internet. And I've read all the material regarding the Cougars suspension that I could get my hands on, but I'm still left with a few questions. So, in an effort to continue learning, could someone help me out?

I've installed GC Coils, Koni Struts, and BAT Cambers last August with a friend of mine that is more than an expert then myself. I'm riding around on about a 2.5-3" drop, with no problems. After my install I went and got a professional alignment, no problem. Before, during, and after the suspension install I was under the impression that the BAT Cambers would "self" adjust, so that my camber/caster would not be off, dispite my ride height.

However, recently, I've noticed that on CustomCougars Website it states the follow about camber/caster adjustment:

We offer these handy kits which use an offset eccentric top mount and plate design for precise camber and caster adjustment. Once installed, adjustment is made by removing the top plate lock and simply inserting a 3/8" ratchet and extension into the top plate and turning (with the weight off the suspension). Caster and camber relation will be determined by the location of the strut shaft and is infinitely adjustable within a range, depending on position it is possible to change camber (only), caster (only) or a combination of camber and caster.
My question is, should the alignment shop of adjusted this? If so, how can I be sure? If not, can I do this myself? Also, is this something thats adjusted once, during the alignment, and never touched again until I decide to change my ride height?

I know that some people, when AutoCrossing, like to adjust their camber a few degress negative. I know this is possible with the adjustable camber kit, but can I do this? Or is this something done by an alignment shop?

Thanks to whomever decides to clear up my confused little brain! :)
Darrell.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i would hope the alignment shop did adjust the plates and not just the toe adjustments

however it's difficult to be 100% sure. check the position of the top bolts on each plate. if they are in roughly the same spot when looked at as mirrored side-to-side, then they are likely aligned.

the top nuts should also be in the semi circle towards the rear of the car, not the front. check this also. otherwise your castor adjustment is wrong.

the shop I had my alignment done at said the plates were a dream to work with, since they could just put a ratchet on them and rotate them while on the alignment machine which has swivel points at the support of each wheel of it

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I'm thinking this is VERY VERY bad... I just examined under my hood to see what direction the off-centered holes were facing on the top plates. When I looked at them, they were both in completely different directions. Upon further examination, they move freely! The top nuts are very tight, but the plates under them move around freely! HELP!!

I posted pictures of the loose camber plates in the problems section... please view here

Thank you everyone and anyone for your help! No matter how big or small, it is very appreciated!
Darrell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts