New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most (if not all) of the Cougars I've come across witha painted dash have been from 99-00 Cougars, spite my numerous searches on cougardb.com and these forums. I plan on getting my dash painted professionally over the winter months, and would like to see some examples of the 01-02 dashs painted before I finalize the areas of the dash I will paint.

Thanks for your help guys!
Darrell.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope :) I always drove a 2001 SilverFrost MTX Cougar.. always :)

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: atlas
Nope :) I always drove a 2001 SilverFrost MTX Cougar.. always :)
apparently i am loosing my mind :biggrin:
don't mind me ;)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
here ya go atlas,

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
yep, all done by myself, but it really doesnt match the outside color of my flames, so ill either sell those pieces and get sum1 elses and paint them my exterior flame color or just redo everthing 2 match it.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
How did you prep the 01-02 dash, and what kind of paint did ya use? I painted my 99 cougar dash, but dont want to attempt the 01.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
i know bleedblue81 painted his pieces french blue. looks really good.

·
Super Moderator
22,201 Posts
when I painted my dash I scrubbed it with a green scrubbie pad and then blasted it with a steam cleaner to open up the plastic, then sprayed it with a plastic prep, went on no problem. sorry about the glare in the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have an '02 and I want to paint it also. Kooter & Jaged, did you just prep and paint the piece over the speedo that is bumpy?? If you did can you see the bumps well?? I want a smooth look so I am wondering if I need to fiberglass over it?? Thanks!!

P.S. Both of your dashes look tight!!! Keep it up!!:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay...
My only question now is, what should I do to the pieces before I drop them off at the [aint shop to get professionally painted?

Maybe the question should be phrased what "can" I do instead of what "should" I do. Can I sand? Is there a compound I can apply over the pieces, like a primer?

Thanks!
Darrell.

·
Super Moderator
22,201 Posts
you cant really sand the speedo cover because the bumps will not be even, unless you sand them all the way off, I jsut rubbed it with a scotch brite green scrubbie pad and used a plastic paint prep. If you wanted it smooth you could use fiberglass or bondo to fill in the bumpies

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by: yakko69
How did you prep the 01-02 dash, and what kind of paint did ya use? I painted my 99 cougar dash, but dont want to attempt the 01.
didnt really do much, i just barely sanded it , then i just cleaned it and started 2 prime it with dupli color filler primer, then just used the metalcast ground coat, the silver, and then just added the blue metalcast basecoat.it cames out fine, and still is fine.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NascarSigEp sent me a pic of his dash via PM, just thought I'd post it here so everyone could avail of the great work done.

NascarSigEp... if your reading this and mind me posting this, just PM me and I'll remove it. Thanks.

Darrell.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
now that two tone is hot. One of the best by far.

S

·
0 Posts
I'll take some pics of mine later. I actually sanded ALL if that thin plastic layer off the pieces. IMO it looks good. I get compliments every time i tell someone it didnt come like that. :)

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you sand all the bumps off the speedo cover, Silvercat?

S

·
0 Posts
nope i left that the same. I like the bumps. I just meant the platic film that is on the pieces themselves. Sorry no pic yet need to recharge batteries.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts