New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear right wheel bearing has gone bad. Thinking about doing the replacement myself with help. What tools would be involved and roughly how long would it take? Or is this something I should just take to ford to do? I have the new bearing and hub assembly.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
It's one of the easier jobs, really.

Remove wheel
Remove brake caliper from knuckle
Pull off the rotor
Remove large nut holding the old hub assembly in place (not sure of the size, but probably 32mm like the front axle; I haven't done one of these in years)
Knock off the old hub assembly
Slide on the new one
Torque nut back on to spec
Re-install brakes
Re-mount wheel

The hardest part of this job is getting the brake assembly off the knuckle. If you're having trouble with that, take it in to a shop.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Remove wheel
Pull off the rotor
Remove large nut holding the old hub assembly in place (not sure of the size, but probably 32mm like the front axle; I haven't done one of these in years)
Slide on the new one
Re-install brakes
Re-mount wheel

The hardest part of this job is getting the brake assembly off the knuckle. If you're having trouble with that, take it in to a shop.
Thanks bennet. Gives me a little but of relief. Do you know what the torque specs are? Are they listed in the owners manual?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Remove wheel
Pull off the rotor
Slide on the new one
Re-install brakes
Re-mount wheel

Also any sensors i have to worry about? Has anyone done this before (listed in forums) and have the list of bolts to remove?

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
The only sensor that might be on there is an ABS sensor, but I don't even know because mine doesn't have ABS.

Torque spec is pretty huge (the front hub assembly torque is over 200). I'm sure someone has that number handy. They aren't in the owner's manual, but they would be in a Hanes or Chilton's manual.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only sensor that might be on there is an ABS sensor, but I don't even know because mine doesn't have ABS.

Torque spec is pretty huge (the front hub assembly torque is over 200). I'm sure someone has that number handy. They aren't in the owner's manual, but they would be in a Hanes or Chilton's manual.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Heh look what i found

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Is the one i got the front or the rear? My dad says it looks like its the front. I ordered rear

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
That is definitely a rear set. The fronts do not come assembled, because those require a hydraulic press to install/remove. The rears are just held on by the one large center nut.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is definitely a rear set. The fronts do not come assembled, because those require a hydraulic press to install/remove. The rears are just held on by the one large center nut.
Awsome awsome thanks bennet! He just thought it was the front cause of the toothed gear looking thing. Thought it would go onto the axles. Hes only done the assembly on his truck and a kia suv

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The toothed ring is the reluctor ring for abs. The ABS sensor pings off those teeth as the wheel spins. ABS sensor is the only sensor in the entire hub/knuckle assembly unless you have wear pad sensors then some corners of the car have 2. Im fairly certain that hub assembly would work for ABS cars and non ABS cars.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The toothed ring is the reluctor ring for abs. The ABS sensor pings off those teeth as the wheel spins. ABS sensor is the only sensor in the entire hub/knuckle assembly unless you have wear pad sensors then some corners of the car have 2. Im fairly certain that hub assembly would work for ABS cars and non ABS cars.
Awsome thank you that was somthing i didnt know i needed to know

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
think this is good enough? Dad is 155lbs and hes kinda jumpin on it. We dont have a torque wrench that goes high enough for 180lbs he doesnt want to crush the bearing but id like it to be tight

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The fronts do not come assembled, because those require a hydraulic press to install/remove.

I did it in six days with a dremel, 10 000 hammer blows, a few scrap bolts and washers, a bearing driver, a grinder, and a MAPP torch. Yes, they do in fact take a hydraulic press to install/remove. please don't attempt what I did, it was AWFUL and I never want to do that job that way again.

the rears, however, were a piece of cake with the same kit minus the dremel. nice work, Alecte. glad you elected to do the work yourself.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I cant believe you actually counted the hammer blows

1 - 17 of 17 Posts