New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening folks. I have to replace my front right/passenger side axle due to some terrible nose. Now what is the proper procedure to remove and replace the axle? I've been looking and nothing for the 02 Cougar can be found. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
24,532 Posts
For the outside - after removing the 32mm retaining nut on the hub, I find it easiest to pop the lower ball joint out of the steering knuckle and pull the knuckle away until you can get the axle stub to come out of the wheel bearing.

For the inside - simplest thing is to take the 2 10mm nuts out of the carrier bearing bracket below the alternator and remove the entire assembly. Then you can separate the inside and outside axles on the bench. It just pulls straight out of the transmission easily. Put a pan underneath though because you’ll lose some fluid. So be prepared to replace that; in fact it’s probably a good time to flush and fill.

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
...For the inside - simplest thing is to take the 2 10mm nuts out of the carrier bearing bracket below the alternator and remove the entire assembly...

·
Administrator
24,532 Posts
Conversely, if you DON'T want to lose any fluid, you have to separate the inner and outer drive shafts in place. If you have a slide-hammer with a drive shaft attachment, you could do that pretty easily. But it's not easy to get a tool in there to separate the shafts, and the spring clip inside holds on tight, so it takes some force to get them apart.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much guys for all your great responses. I was able to rent a slide hammer and axle removal attachment from Auto-Zone. Thanks again and have a great day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts