New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Fidanza flywheel and unorthodox underdrive pulley, and I called a shop to get an estimate on installing this stuff. They told me 12, yes 12 hours to install the flywheel. They said the entire engine/trans would have to be dropped to get to the flywheel. But then the underdrive pulley only takes an hour or two to install. Is this correct? Has anyone replaced their flywheel?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
You might want to post in the Transmission section but yes you would have to drop at least the transmission to get to the flywheel. Yes people here have done it, try searching!:disgust:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Just yank the whole powertrain out the top- Easier than dropping the subframe out to drop the trans. I can do the entire job in 12 hours, and that's at my house with just a cherry picker. They're ripping you off.

On a side note, take a second look (and thought) about that underdrive- A non-dampened pulley is not exactly... Um... Good?

·
Registered
145 Posts
i work at a ford dealership, and i had to get my clutch and flywheel replaced, and book time is 4.5 hours

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
No freakin' way. I don't care what tools you have. This is why mechanics get screwed...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also work at a ford dealership, the booked time for a 2000 contour to get its synchromeshh replaced and the clutch, pressure plate done was 10 hours @ $89.00/hour canadian, parts costing around $500.00 Canadian..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.