New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My door open chime and light kept on coming on so I purchased a used drivers door latch and took the door pane off the door and for the life of me I cant figure out on how to get the old latch out. I went as far as remove the screws that hold it in place , dropped it down a bit bit a unable to get it out completely because a black plastic cover is in the way. How does one remove that cover so I can access the door latch mechanism? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
361 Posts
there are two screws that hold the plastic cover in place. One your screwdriver goes through the door perpendicular to it. It might be a torx but I think those were standard phillips. The second screw requires the screwdriver to be inside the door parallel to the door. That is the upper one. Get a good light in there and look for the circles in the plastic where the screws would be inserted. I just had to remove a latch for someone from my parts car. IT was heck getting the old latch out. I didn't envy the new owner for having to put the new one in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the explanation. I'll give it a shot when the rain finally stops here. Again hanks so much.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up on replacing the door latch. I removed the two screws as stated above but now I'm unable to pull the shield out. Is there something else that's holding it in place? Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts