New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my front tires is losing air pressure sorta slowly over and over and I inspected it thoroughly and found no nails or anything weird. There's a bunch of cracks and tears and gashes and stuff which I know isn't good but hopefully it's just a broken valve like the rear one had. The treads looks alright though. When I take it in for the air leak problem if they say I should replace them, I already know the cost. I had my parents get a quote while they were there for their van tires and HOLY DAMN for the exact same Firestone Firehawk GTA-02 P215/50R16 89V tires that are on it right now they want $174 each! Then minus a parts discount and plus labor and disposal and we have $309 total replacement cost! THAT'S RIDICULOUS! I kid you knot, I got all 4 tires on my Tracer replaced for less than the cost of one cougar tire...or I should say, how much they want for one since that's way overpriced. Isn't it just fantastic that apparently mine was the sporty package instead of having nice, cheap P205/60R15 sized ones on there?

Somehow they failed to give me a quote for identical Kumho tires that I have on the rear. Maybe they don't carry Kumhos. Those were put on the rear brand new by the dealership before I bought my cougar. Are they supposed to not match or was that just the dealership cheaping out on me? They're Kumho Ecsta ASX all season tires that fit the same P215/50R16 size (though instead of 89V they say 90W but I think that means I can potentially drive a hair faster on them)

Is there any problem with putting Kumhos on the front too? Cuz I found them here for $88. and I found the firehawks for $115, which btw I should show to those tire Nazis at the place that gave me the quote. So is there any good reason for me to get firehawks on the front or should I go with Kumhos? Or would there be any reason for me to go with a different brand such as the other ones that this site's seracher found? The ASX's in that size got pretty good ratings (89% as good of ratings as the best possible tires they sell in that size) and Kumho's website says they're pretty bad ass compared to others. I'm sure the people at the tire place will put on the tires if I just bring them in and not warranty them. And their labor is crazy cheap and I'd prefer them to be professionally balanced anyway.
What do you guys think would be the best way to go if I do in fact need replacements?

·
Tornado Alley Moderator
1,067 Posts
I would say if the Kuhmos that you have on your car are OK and you found them for a good price online I would go that route.

That is a big differace in the price quoted and what you found the other tires for online....but I found that same issue when I bought my tires (only differance was that I bought wheels and tires both) all the prices I found local were higher than what I could find online so I went with the online route.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well you know it's cuz their warranty is "free" but not really cuz the tires are just like 150% the actual price

·
Registered
231 Posts
One of my front tires is losing air pressure sorta slowly over and over and I inspected it thoroughly and found no nails or anything weird. There's a bunch of cracks and tears and gashes and stuff which I know isn't good but hopefully it's just a broken valve like the rear one had. The treads looks alright though. When I take it in for the air leak problem if they say I should replace them, I already know the cost. I had my parents get a quote while they were there for their van tires and HOLY DAMN for the exact same Firestone Firehawk GTA-02 P215/50R16 89V tires that are on it right now they want $174 each! Then minus a parts discount and plus labor and disposal and we have $309 total replacement cost! THAT'S RIDICULOUS! I kid you knot, I got all 4 tires on my Tracer replaced for less than the cost of one cougar tire...or I should say, how much they want for one since that's way overpriced. Isn't it just fantastic that apparently mine was the sporty package instead of having nice, cheap P205/60R15 sized ones on there?

Somehow they failed to give me a quote for identical Kumho tires that I have on the rear. Maybe they don't carry Kumhos. Those were put on the rear brand new by the dealership before I bought my cougar. Are they supposed to not match or was that just the dealership cheaping out on me? They're Kumho Ecsta ASX all season tires that fit the same P215/50R16 size (though instead of 89V they say 90W but I think that means I can potentially drive a hair faster on them)

Is there any problem with putting Kumhos on the front too? Cuz I found them here for $88. and I found the firehawks for $115, which btw I should show to those tire Nazis at the place that gave me the quote. So is there any good reason for me to get firehawks on the front or should I go with Kumhos? Or would there be any reason for me to go with a different brand such as the other ones that this site's seracher found? The ASX's in that size got pretty good ratings (89% as good of ratings as the best possible tires they sell in that size) and Kumho's website says they're pretty bad ass compared to others. I'm sure the people at the tire place will put on the tires if I just bring them in and not warranty them. And their labor is crazy cheap and I'd prefer them to be professionally balanced anyway.
What do you guys think would be the best way to go if I do in fact need replacements?
Hi Desolator.:wave: To answer our questions. Yes, it would be best to have four of the same tires on your car, now that you need to replace two anyway. It is not ideal to have different tires on your front and rear "corners". As you said, they just replaced two worn out tires with two convenient new ones at the Dealer.

As far as ordering tires, my personal opinion, I would stay away from the Firehawks. If I were you , I would put two of the matching Kumhos on your car.

Go to LINK The Tire Rack. Check out the prices there. They also have agreements with many shops to mount and balance your tires. You can have the tires "drop shipped" to your choice of local shops. The Tire Shop will call you when they arrive and you just go and have them installed. You can also get a "Road Hazard" warranty.

Go to the website and take a look. Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ooooh that is awesome. I'm totally gonna bring them up when I contact the tire place. If they don't accept their ship directly there program then I'm sure their HQ will be pissed cuz this is Expert Tire we're talking about not Bubba's Tire and Bait Store lol. But maybe I'll luck out and they'll say they're damaged but safely driveable and the valve's just leaking.

·
Registered
66 Posts
could be a bent rim too, i had the same prob with my stockers.

but as for kumho-s .... i would go a different route. I have ecstas on my coug and although they handle really well, and im totally happy with that, they dont handle the aggressive driving too well. maybe im just hard on the tires, but i really dont like the wear pattern that im seeing. maybe 10,000 miles on em, had em like 10 months, mostly long distance interstate driving. i work in a tire shop, and ive heard good and bad things about kumho's so its not like im biased.

i suggest going with a yokohama. great tire for a great price. i know we sell the as430 series 225/40/18 for like 93 bux a tire plus install. so the 16s have to be gobs cheaper. and they are a great tire. thats what i had on my stock wheels and i loved em. but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ooooh that is awesome. I'm totally gonna bring them up when I contact the tire place. If they don't accept their ship directly there program then I'm sure their HQ will be pissed cuz this is Expert Tire we're talking about not Bubba's Tire and Bait Store lol. But maybe I'll luck out and they'll say they're damaged but safely driveable and the valve's just leaking.
Hi Desolator.:wave: I think you may have misunderstood how the "drop shipping" works.

Go to the Tire Rack website. On the main page will be a window titled "Getting It Installed" (in the window will be a mechanic, with a red car on a lift in the background). Type your ZIP Code into the box and you will get a list of "Preferred Installers" in your area. It will also show pricing for those installers. You can choose from any of those "Preferred Installers" to have your tires "drop shipped" to. They will call you when they have arrived, and then you can have them mounted, balanced, etc. And you know your pricing up front.

Maybe "Expert Tire" is a "Preferred Installer"? I don't know. Go to the website and find out.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can put 205/55/16 on your car without any problems and they are cheaper than the stock size. 225/50/16 may also be cheaper and work fine.
both sizes are far cheaper for reasonable brands and models but I don't even have to ask what would happen if I have a different size on the back than the front lol. So yeah I wish I could swap all 4 but that's more expensive than 2 really nice, same sized ones. I heard from the 20 or so Auto Tech guys in my Written Communications class (scheduling glitch lol) that Kumhos are "okay" and some are good and some are bad so yeah, I know they're not like God's gift to tires.But if I've also heard bad things, especially about cougars, about putting different brands on the front and back so I'd have to swap all 4.

In my current size, the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS's blow everything away by far. They're just plain sick. And second place is, like you said, the Yokohama ADVAN S.4's. So I'd get 4 of them put on (in this or an alternate size) but of course that's a ton of money.

Although tires were near the top of my list for possible upgrades to do but that was 99% because I like to drive aggressively in the winter and 1% for drag racing like once. If you're from California and are like "what's so different about winter driving?" it snows and freezes here in winter :tongue: In fact, snow handling was over 50% of the decision I made to buy a cougar. Btw if somehow they do horrible on snow don't you dare post it now cuz I don't wanna know :rofl: I'll find out soon enough lol. It's has wide tires and barely weighs anything so I assume it's good.

So anyway, the Yokohamas are only barely better rated on snow and ice than the Kumhos so even with the possible tread wear wackiness, they're not cost effective in my mind at the moment. The Bridgestones are like magical snowshoe tires so I'd probably get those if I did upgrade to a really, really high end set though.

Okay back to drop shipping. Those jerkfaces aren't a "recommended installer" but there's 5 other places really close that are, 2 of which I'd trust lol. And after I saw that quote and had the whole adventure of getting my bro's car tires swapped there, they're far from my favorite now so I have no problem going somewhere else. I'll miss the unbelievably hot girl that works there that knows everything about cars though :cry:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I might be wrong on this, but I believe the Kumho tire is a default from factory tire for these vehicles? Or maybe a default from dealer, when replaced, tire? My car came with 4 fresh Kumho ASX's when it was bought from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I'm sure you could show that hot girl your sound system and she'd fall in love. Just messin! I need new rubber for my car soon, and tire rack has Sumitomo HTR Z ( I think ) tires at 53 a tire right now at 225/50. I believe they had a treadwear of 180, which means they'll be fun as hell, but run out soon. For only a few dollars more, you can get Kumho AST or Fuzion HRI (these are fine, seen them on a auto-xing wrx, while burning up) Those will hold up WAY better in winter. It looks like you can get a set for around 260-280 shipped, and add around 30 for install, your right at 300 for new tires.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I might be wrong on this, but I believe the Kumho tire is a default from factory tire for these vehicles? Or maybe a default from dealer, when replaced, tire? My car came with 4 fresh Kumho ASX's when it was bought from the dealer.
well that's an interesting thing I hadn't considered. I assumed the front were stock cuz they look the oldest but given the tread wear and mileage, they had to have been swapped out years ago. I kinda doubt Kumhos were the default though cuz if memory serves, in 1996 the company behind Kumho changed their name to Kumho and only got crazy popular after their run flat technology was created in 1999 and that's way after the cougar was being developed and it's unlikely they sold them all of a sudden with Kumhos but it's definitely possible. Anyone who bought a brand new one know? (btw wasn't the MSRP brand new like $22,000?! HOLY DAMN you're either crazy, rich, or crazy rich if you bought one new!)

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
I only have 2 tire recommendations, period.

Economy: BFGoodrich g-Force Sport

Best Quality: BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i bought fuzion ZRI's and they cost like 500 mount balance and alignment to put them on.
so far so good
they stick pretty well, i was suprised.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Oh and I forgot to mention, I currently have the g-Force Sport tires on the car, and have had them for about a year and a half. Only about 10 or 11 months of "road time" due to the transmission failure last year, but considering how hard I drive the car and the track events I compete in, I think they have performed very well. I think I got them for about $60/each, but that was a 205/60/15.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Deslolator, look up some old Edmunds and internetautoguide reviews of the Cougar. There is a comparison of sport compacts that doesn't favor our car, but then, Jeremy Clarkson loved it... youtube "top gear ford cougar". I believe a V6 loaded up nicely was under 18k. No, the Cougar never came with Kumho's, (I bought mine from a guy with Ecsta Supra's on ..... I loved those tires) It game with Firehawk GT-A 2 (I think that's where the 2 goes) on 16s, and something else on the 15's... I have no idea what rubber came on 17s.

·
is a pop sensation
13,672 Posts
No, the Cougar never came with Kumho's, (I bought mine from a guy with Ecsta Supra's on ..... I loved those tires) It game with Firehawk GT-A 2 (I think that's where the 2 goes) on 16s, and something else on the 15's... I have no idea what rubber came on 17s.
The 16s also came with BF Goodrich Comp TA VR4s (no longer in production). Why some had Firestones and others had BFGs is beyond me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts