New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 years ago I donated to the Salvation Army a cosmetically perfect 2002 2.5L manual Cougar. The car drove like new. Unfortunately, the entire rear undercarriage was totally rusted out ( road salt from upstate NY) and the car was no longer safe to drive. We could not find stock suspension parts for it. Can anyone tell me where I might find parts? I know the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique were built on the same platform but they are hard to find, too. I recently came across another 2002 and I really would love to have another. It was by far the most reliable, and fun, car I ever owned, but I don't want to get stuck unable to find parts if needed. Any info, anyone? Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Why would you donate a car thats been deemed unsafe to drive, to a charity which may hand it off to someone who really needs a safe and reliable car but doesnt have the means to get one any other way?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Tascaparts' website still stocks fresh rear subframes, i believe. I found mine used in a boneyard, sandblasted it ,and coated it with POR-15 (which I'm not really impressed with).

parts still exist, we just don't have the convenience of having everything already in stock and ready to go at any parts store, mostly.

best of luck with your new car!

·
Administrator
11,458 Posts
Why would you donate a car thats been deemed unsafe to drive, to a charity which may hand it off to someone who really needs a safe and reliable car but doesnt have the means to get one any other way?
When you donate a car to charity they then just send it to auction and use the money from the sale to help families. Maybe in some cases the cars are gone over by a mechanic to be donated, but there's a lot of liability there and it's easier to give cash towards purchase of a car.

·
5,237 Posts
Donated cars may be sold at auction if worthy, or may go to a pick-n-pull type yard, or directly to the crusher - the charity gets the proceeds, whatever they might be.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Every rear suspension part is available via retail with the exception of the trailing arms, which rarely need replacement anyway.
The Subframes can be found on Ebay if you dont find it from a Ford dealer, the control arms, toe arms, sway bar bushings, and endlinks are on Rock Auto and other sources, and trailing arm bushings can be had from anyone who sells Energy Suspension parts.
Motorcraft Struts arent made for these cars anymore but there are multiple OEM equivalent brands available.
Strut mounts are available from Ford and other aftermarket suppliers, but for an 02, you will want the Ford ones because the aftermarket suppliers seem to have missed the memo that the rear strut mounts changed in 01.

Similarly, every normal wear and tear item for the front end is readily available on Rock Auto or other sources.

If you find yourself in a bind for a part that isnt available via retail; this forum, the New Edge Cougar Owner Facebook group, and various Contour Facebook Groups are a great set of resources, and most parts can be found without too much trouble or expense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts