New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a 99 2.0L Cougar. The valve cover gasket is leaking oil down into the spark plug wells. I asked him to get a Chiltons or Hayne's manual for his car but he says he can't find one. Can someone please tell me the proper torque settings for replacing the valve cover gasket? Is there a certain bolt pattern sequence to tightening it? I know on my Eclipse it's a very specific sequence and torque procedure.

Eclipse Valve cover torque procedure

What service manuals do you guys use and where do you get them? Has someone scanned a factory service manual for download - or is one available on CD?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thats great. I just told him to get a copy. Thanks.

When I checked a week ago - one of the plugs was covered in oil, but the performance has gone downhill since then. So hes running on at most 3 cylinders - possibly 2. I have to change this thing out tomorrow. Please help me. Info on the torque valeus and sequencing would be great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by: MetalJim
My brother has a 99 2.0L Cougar. The valve cover gasket is leaking oil down into the spark plug wells.
It sounds like the head to me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[It sounds like the head to me
What do you mean by this? Do you mean that it sounds like the head gasket, or are you trying to tell me the head is where the spark plugs are? The guy at the dealer thought he needed a head gasket too, so you wouldn't be the first person who thought a blown head gasket causes oil to leak down into the spark plug well.

The question was how much, and in what sequence to torque the valve cover bolts. I already did it today - torqued them to 6, 9, then finally 12 ft/lbs. Looks like its holding for now at least. Still wouldn't mind knowing the correct torque values though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.