New Cougar Forum banner

Reopen the intake manifold theme

3K views 30 replies 4 participants last post by  Ricardo70 
#1 ·
Hello, we have talked a lot about the measurements of the air intake, but after cleaning with caustic soda, and preparing to polish them, checking the margin between the gaskets and the pieces, which is wide, I have realized that they are not the same measurements.

The air passes from a narrow to a wide duct, narrows and then enters the cylinder head, which is the widest of all.

I'm talking about the long, narrow low-rev pipe where the injectors are.

Wouldn't it be better if everything had the same size?

Tell me something because I am thinking of rectifying it.

#4 ·
It looks like you have the older LIM and the standard UIM. Thats normal for a pre-01 car.
The ST200 UIM has closer to 31mm and 32 mm runners. The LIM measurements for the ST200 can be found here: Link
Years ago people used to try to port match the UIM to the LIM but I'm not sure if it adds any value or not since the length of the runner is still restrictive. You certainly can try it since it will only cost you time. The better solution is to get an ST200 UIM and LIM though. The LIM should be easily found on any '01 or '02 car.

As for the transition between the LIM and the heads, I believe that was intentionally designed that way to create a rapid expansion of air to aid fuel atomization and mixing.
I know people have tried to port their heads in the past but I doubt very much that it was beneficial.

I would leave the heads alone and source the upgraded intake manifolds.

#5 ·
The 00-02’s were the same (returnless). The 99’s were different (return). Type fuel system. The 00-02’s has the SVT Contour lower intake manifold. So it was easy for the 00-02’s to put an SVT upper intake manifold on or the ST200 which ever you prefer. Also don’t forget about the throttle body off the SVT or ST200. That way everything matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Hello, as always thanks to both of you for your quick and interesting answers.

My cougar in her papers is from the year 1999. As the cars travel from the US to Germany and then go to Spain I don't know if the date is valid.

My LIM is the F73E9K461AA
My UIM is the F73E942908

The UIM I think it would be easy to enlarge it without buying it.

But when I look for the LIM of the STV or the ST200 I get my reference, do they use the same reference? or the sellers do not put the exact description?
I don't know the reference of the throttle body of the SVT, do I know it is 65mm? mine is 55 or 60mm?

Questions:
If the LIM of the STV is bigger, do you advise me to change it? that if I need the reference.

Do you see well that I enlarge the UIM to fit the LIM?

I have a set of gaskets but the ones I removed look good, do you recommend changing them or do I try the old ones and reserve the new ones for the day I open the engine?

Thank you

#9 ·
Hello, as always thanks to both of you for your quick and interesting answers.

My cougar in her papers is from the year 1999. As the cars travel from the US to Germany and then go to Spain I don't know if the date is valid.

My LIM is the F73E9K461AA
My UIM is the F73E942908

The UIM I think it would be easy to enlarge it without buying it.

But when I look for the LIM of the STV or the ST200 I get my reference, do they use the same reference? or the sellers do not put the exact description?
I don't know the reference of the throttle body of the SVT, do I know it is 65mm? mine is 55 or 60mm?

Questions:
If the LIM of the STV is bigger, do you advise me to change it? that if I need the reference.

Do you see well that I enlarge the UIM to fit the LIM?

I have a set of gaskets but the ones I removed look good, do you recommend changing them or do I try the old ones and reserve the new ones for the day I open the engine?

Thank you
SVT Lite for Dummies will help clarify things for you.
The SVT TB is 60mm, your factory TB is probably 54mm.
Yes, I do recommend changing the LIM to the upgraded one. Ford thought is was a good idea, we should too.
Fresh gaskets is never a bad idea, but that up to you. I would definitely use fresh gaskets if you remove the LIM. That lower joint sees a lot of heat and is a lot more trouble to deal with if it leaks than the upper one. The extra money for fresh software is a worthy investment.

#12 ·
#13 ·
If you have a single fuel rail and fuel line, you have an SVT-spec lower manifold. If you have 2 fuel lines and a twin fuel rail, you need to upgrade your lower manifold.

#15 ·
The manifolds your looking for are pretty easy to find in the US. If you don't get the right one, consider asking us to send you one.

#16 ·
Hi, thanks for the offer.

There are two things that are difficult here:

Throttle body SVT

And the 3.0 engine block

But that doesn't rush me, the first thing is to be able to get the car out of the garage.

I'm changing brakes, suspension, gasket kit and injector filters, cleaning the intake (now also changing the LIM and enlarging the UIM) and I'm still fighting with the IMRC.

By the way speaking of the IMRC, I checked the cable from this to the round connectors on the other side of the motor and they were ok.

Do you have a tutorial on how to remove the control unit, to be able to check the cables from the control unit to the round connectors?

Do you have a diagram of the pins of the control unit?

Thanks, as always

#20 ·
Unplug the wire connector from the engine bay, but remove the box through the footwell. You have to lift the power steering reservoir out of the way to unplug it.

#21 ·
I thought when you said "control unit" you were referring to the IMRC. Now I understand you were looking for the PCM.
Access as described above.
Unfortunately my scanned image of C421 is a little bit cropped, but it will at least help you see how the numbering works:

#23 ·
Should be under the power steering reservoir. And one bolt to unscrew. Doesn’t come out. Yo also have 2 nuts to remove inside the car where the computer is. And then remove the one bolt holding the computer down.

#27 ·
Hello, if you excuse me I usually translate the messages into English with Google, but when I paste them I have to remove the option to translate automatically from the browser because if it does not translate it back to Spanish ...

Well, you're right if nobody tells me how that sheet comes out I'll have to remove the rivets, which I don't like either but ...

#28 ·
I think the new LIM will arrive this Tuesday, I am impatient to see its measurements.

While I have been measuring the joints and how they adapt, I have been surprised.

Here you can see that the diameters of the upper intake gasket are 35.3mm and 36.6mm
It is symmetrical but not perfectly centered

Here we can see that the upper intake manifold is neither centered nor symmetrical nor the holes are round, this lack of precision has caught my attention.

I suppose it is not necessary for correct operation, but it does affirm my decision to enlarge those holes by hand so that they have the measurement of the LIM and are more centered with it.

#29 ·
I didn’t measure mine yet but I did laid down the gaskets like you did on one of my spare SVT upper intake manifold like you did. Now the SVT one is way different than yours but right now I can’t find my stock UIM.

#31 ·
Hello, the LIM has finally arrived and I am happy.

Ford Mondeo-Contour MK3 2000-2007
F7RU-9K461-AA

It has the upper measurements of 34mm and 33.3mm

As you can see in the photo, the UIM is not centered, as happened to the one that had my car, so I will enlarge the holes to also center them with the LIM (The holes of the UIM are closer together and those in the center are not noticeable but those of extremes if appreciated)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.