New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 99 4cyl atx cougar for three years, driven it reliably everyday, and have decided that it is way past tome to do some mods. Most of my experience is working on older vehicles w/o computers, so I need to make sure I don't screw anything up in the process of simple mods. Is there anything special that you have to so to remove that cats and precats, or can I just unbolt them, and run all new exhaust pipes? What about O2 sensors? Thanks for the help. This is the most helpful forum I have ever used. Not only are these great cars, they also have great owners!!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
You're going to have to get a Mil eliminator if you remove your cat. All it does is modify the output signal of the second O2 sensor so the ECU thinks there's a functioning catalytic converter there. It's a pretty simple circuit.....just a resistor or two and a capacitor.....you could either buy one....or if you're comfortable with electronics, you could build one yourself.

Good luck and welcome to the boards..............:wave:

·
Registered
832 Posts
WE DON'T HAVE PRE-CATS!! JUST A CAT. It's right under the exhaust manifold in front of the engine. The typical close coupled CAT.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
hey! another 4 banger ATX!!! i dont feel as alone anymore.....

i was wondering the same thing, so this thread helps a lot!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
we have two cats stock...a main cat and a cat you just described...it was my understanding that the cat we're talking about is the precat which is simply a cat positioned in the front of the other...it's the same on the v6's..i've gutted a couple of the v6's and it is positioned the same and looks the same...while the v6 has two of them we have one but it is still pretty much the same thing...it is still a cat but just known as the precat because of its position.....just tryin to start a friendly debate here...i know i could be 100% wrong...but i was sure of this and it wasn't until this thread i heard otherwise...again i add, just a friendly debate :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Appreciate the PM and also don't take my all caps to personally, sometimes I get exasperated too easily.

When we made out turbo kit it we had to get rid of the cat. The cat is right under the stock exhaut manifold right infront of the radiator. That's all we Zetecs got. After that it's the flexpipe, then the muffler, then resonator then tailpipe.

Getting rid of the cat means your car is no longer TECHNICALLY street legal. Fortunately here in Texas they don't check for that...yet. That's why the Focus boys get those shorty headers that bolt to the stock cat so they can keep it and also have some peformance gains.

I'll try and get a pic of what I'm talkin about. Anybody else got pics of the cat and exhaust manifold? Talk to you later.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
how is it not a precat though is what i'm wonderin basically....a precat is the same as a regular cat but mounted right under the exhaust manifold like you said...it's the same on the v6's..mounted in the same place...same material inside their precats as our cat/precat/whatever

·
Registered
832 Posts
Because the term "Pre" denotes there should be a "Post". In this case, pre-cats then cat.

The V6 has 3 "catalytic components", the pre-cats off each manifold then the cat. Two mini-cats and a full cat. The reason the V6 has three is that just one cat won't cut it for emissions. But at the same time three full cats are overkill for the 2.5L. You look at a mustang V6 it has just two full cats off each exhaust bank the merges to the single exhaust pipe. The reason the V6 has pre-cats is so the main cat gets hot faster and works better.

We don't need extra components cause the main-cat is mounted so close the the engine so it heats up faster that way. A zetec just has one "catalytic component". After that it's all muffler/exhaust pipes.

So you can't really gut the "pre-cat" since it's also the only cat. I don't think gutting the cat would be good since then you'd have the stock crappy manifold then a big empty space for the exhaust to slow down before going out the rest of the system. The best thing to do is get a good header and off road pipe and O2 cheater. There's no cheap way to get around that.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
ok...woopsies...yeah...i am 100% without a doubt wrong....:)

edit:...i completely understand what you're saying...i haven't had my stock exhaust for a couple years now and coulda sworn there was another cat under the car....so yeah...that's why i thought that

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
the only one out for our car specific is the stoffler from over in germany....headers from a zx2 will bolt right up....focus's headers should fit too...there would likely be some modification to make function properly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts