New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one have any advice on how to take the alternator off? I did a search and couldn't find any thing. I just had it replaced in february and the da#$ thing has already died on me, so instead of spending $500 again I would like to do it myself. Does anyone know if there is a warranty on the alternators from Ford? Well any help would be great, thanks, Steve.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
it's only a few bolts really... you need to jack the car up as high as you can, take a light with you and get under the car, look up you won't see much but if you feel around you'll notice there are 3 bolts holding the alternator bracket down, i beleive they are all 10mm bolts, you will also need quite a few inches of extensions and a u-joint... once you get it all unbolted, take the belt off, there is a spring loaded tensioner on the belt, use a big pry bar to do it... finally remove the lower wheel well for the right wheel, and remove the rear bolt for the subframe (this will give you that few extra inches you need to wiggle the alternator out)... be careful not to take it completely out cause there are some wires connected to it... when done bring the alternator to a qualified alternator and starter shop, have them rebuild it and put it back in... i did the same and have never had a problem since....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot. I will be working on this, friday, unless its under warranty fomr where I had it fixed last time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts