New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to remove V-tech taillight covers without wrecking the covers or the paint? I had some painted but they don't match well so I need to take them off so they can be repainted, but I'm trying not to crack the paint if I can.

Pete

G

·
i am sure someone on here knows a good way but when i took mine off last weekend i started at the bottom and just moved very slow supporting it with my other hand the whole way the right came off pretty easy but the left was another story, now it has a very small crack in it so hopfully someone has a better way!!

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Maybe try the good old "fishing line" trick. Work it under each corner and cut through the 3M tape with it. Use goo gone or some other adhesive remover on the remaining tape.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
If you use that fishing line trick and goo gone to clean it up, what type of tape should you use to reattach them? I'm assuming some high quality 3m double sided tape, but not sure if there are certains ones that are better.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
If you use that fishing line trick and goo gone to clean it up, what type of tape should you use to reattach them? I'm assuming some high quality 3m double sided tape, but not sure if there are certains ones that are better.
I'd go to Home Depot or Lowe's and look for some of that 3m double sided. If somebody else doesn't post below me with a definite product/store, then that's what I'd do.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input I'll let you know which way works best. As far as the tape goes I went to Autozone today and picked up 3M molding tape, which looks to me like the same tape V-Tech uses for the covers. The back of the box says it is OEM grade tape.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just took my covers off and I found that the best way is fishing line. It has to be a rather heavy weight I think I used 15lb, I started using 6lb and it broke very easily. Once i got the covers off of the lights the extra tape peeled off easily using just my fingers. I is also thought it would be much easier to take the lights off of the car but thats probably pretty obvious.

Pete

·
Registered
257 Posts
Would that fishing line trick be a good way to take off those nameplates that the dealers sometimes put on too? Or are those attached with an adhesive glue. If it won't work, is there another way to get them off? I don't want to hurt my beautiful paint job.:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Would that fishing line trick be a good way to take off those nameplates that the dealers sometimes put on too? Or are those attached with an adhesive glue. If it won't work, is there another way to get them off? I don't want to hurt my beautiful paint job.:biggrin:
Yep, it'll work on those too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts