New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How in the eff does one do this. An hour after going through every tool in my box and every bit of patience, I gave up. Do you have to remove the bracket from the other side of the bumper, and how would I even go about that??

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I believe the bracket is riveted to the front bumper. Basically you'll have to drill out the rivets, there's no real way to loosen them. Also, when you get it off, you'll have 2 ugly holes right in the center of your front bumper. It may not be so bad on a black cougar, but you'd want to get them filled. My suggestion: Just leave the bracket on and find a nice replacement license plate thing to go in there (Cougar logo, or UNC or whatever).

I wish I didn't have to have a front license plate... It looks soooo much better without one.:cry:

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I inquired about that, one shop told me it would be kinda costly, they'd have to remove the whole front bumper, fill it from the back and front, take the clearcoat off the bumper, respray the bumper, then clearcoat it again. I never got a quote, but from that alone it didnt sound cheap. The cheapest way would probably be to get little round plugs that fill the holes. DEVIOUSDEV has them on his black cougar and it isnt really noticable unless u are looking for them. If you wanted (you dont really need to since ur car is black) you could paint the lil plugs with touch up paint. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And where could I acquire these plugs from? I'm thinking the bumper isn't worth getting filled & painted anyways because I am hoping to have a new front bumper soon anyways.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wise Choice. From a Ford Body Shop it costs $320 to fill and paint the front bumper holes. Because of the the type of bumper we have due to expansion and contraction from the heat and cold, the putty will pop out and you will need to get it done again & again & again. My dealer put one on without my permission and after trying to patch it 3 times they finally replaced it with a new one...

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Originally posted by: Keliente
And where could I acquire these plugs from? I'm thinking the bumper isn't worth getting filled & painted anyways because I am hoping to have a new front bumper soon anyways.
I'd PM DEVIOUSDEV, i forgot what ones he said he used, but they werent that big and fit nicely.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Originally posted by: Rikenbomb
My '99 was pretty easy. Remove the bolts holding the license plate on, remove the license plate and there are 2 bolts that are holding the license plate on to the bumper. Simply unscrew these and presto!!!
i dont know when they switched over, 00 or 01, but they are rivets now, gotta drill em out

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
My '00 had rivets. I got rid of mine by not having the holder put back on when I had my front bumper replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts