New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can i take those strips off that run down the side of the car. they appear to be on with 3m tape and i think i can just pull them off. I tugged at it a little and it didnt feel that hard to get off. just wondering if anyone did this and how.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Yeah, you can rip it off, but I'd use good ol' fishing line instead. Work it behind one end and just run the length of the molding. Use goo gone or the like to clean off the residue, good, done. :biggrin:

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: ignernt
Yeah, you can rip it off, but I'd use good ol' fishing line instead. Work it behind one end and just run the length of the molding. Use goo gone or the like to clean off the residue, good, done. :biggrin:
couldnt have said it better myself :biggrin:

just be prepared to do alot of rubbing, cause that sticky stuff thats left over is a pain in the ass!
but it DOES come off without harming your paint

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Did mine a week or so ago, I used fishing line for the first 4 inches, but it was too slow so I started pulling it off with my hands slowly and evenly. After that I was left with some thick rubber sticky pieces where the moldings were. I just used my thumb to roll the rubber stuff and just worked on it for a while. Then I left with the outline of the side molding. I tried lots of stuff including goo gone, but the thing that removed it the best is bug n tar liquid stuff (not spray). Took another 15-20min for me to buff each side with the bug n tar, but in the end it came out great and you can barely see where the moldings were. You have to be about 1-2 inches away and look for a few minutes, which is good enough for me :)

Dont forget to wash/wax the area after your done cause bug n tar strips the wax.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with caenus,Use your thumb,I found it worked faster.In fact my thumb had a blister from rubbing that crap off.But for the "outline" where the molding was I just used wax and alittle of elbow grease and it came off very easy.(Instead of the bug/tar remover)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Depending on what year, color, and how well you take car of the paint (ie wax), you might have a discoloration where the moldings were anyway. Unless the car does not spend a lot of time in the sun, or you wax it well with a UV protectant wax, the paint on the car has faded slightly...especially if it is a lighter color or red. When you remove the moldings you will expose paint that has had no sun exposure, and therefor has not faded at all.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
radscougar, yeah both of my hands were sore after rubbing that crap off.

Fett thats true, its possible, I've had my car for almost 2 years and its always been outside. The first year or so I put wax on once every few months and still didn't have any color variations. Mine's DT green so the fading would be more apparent. Since the moldings are on the side the sun wont fade the paint as much as say the roof/hood/trunk areas.

G

·
I did my trunk emblems 2 weeks ago, my car is black, don't have a garage so is always out in the sun, wax every six months, live in Texas. Needless to say, I was scared about the outline being there, but I used goo gone after using my thumb also, then wiped it down with water/paper towel, took it to the car wash, brought it home and waxed it with a polish/wax combo, can't see any difference at all. I'm going to do my side moldings this weekend.

G

·
i removed mine .. pampered car, stored in winter, washed ,waxed regular, 4/7 nights stored in the garage 00 cougar .. had very minor discolouration, after a wax you cant see it anymore

1 - 10 of 10 Posts