New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get them off? I need to know to buy a set off a guy.

Thanks

·
Registered
815 Posts
They are "glued" from the inside. Take out the B and C pillar trim, and the rear quarter interior pannel, then call a mobile glass install place to have them remove them. This will give you access to the gued in area of the glass. I believe they have to be cut away from the inside. They have a fancy blade-type tool to do this correctly.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
go out and buy a windshield removing tool, its like 10 bucks. remove the b and c pillars and carefully cut away the glue. its simple.

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
need to jump in on this one. I'm working on making polycarbonate replacement windows (shave weight).

2 questions - approximately what would a autoglass company charge for the removal, and if I decided to remount them myself, what would I need?

thanks
Terry

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
im not sure what an auto glass company would charge to remove it, but you can go to an automotive store and get some window adheasive and sealant. ive seen it in a ribbon form and in a tube, and have used both.

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
ya I was curious on glass quotes because they give prices all over the place. I'm not worried about remounting them myself (I've made a number of large fish tanks, both glass and acrylic), but I am alittle nervious about removing them myself.

~Terry

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
its nothing to remove them just get a windshield removing tool you just have to becareful as to not crack the glass.

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
thats why I'm nervious, I have a bad habit of cracking glass, thats why I started working with acrylic

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
if you worried about breaking or cracking the glass and you still want to do it yourself you best bet would be to go out and buy whats called a hotknife. it heats up making the cutting of the glue a lot easier, however i have yet to use one so i dont konw on costs or anything. i have only removed a quarter window with the cold knife, windshield removing tool. and a windshield with piano wire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.