New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiousity how do you remove the door panels to get at the front speakers. I had a Audio shop install my speakers and I didn't see how they did it. I want to see the custom plates they made for me to fill that 5x7 or whatever hole. Is it a pain to remove the doors, meaning don't do it unless you really have to?

·
Registered
469 Posts
there are screws along the bottom and side of the door panel...just unscrew them and pull it off... then you have to slide out the door handle from the panel and disconnect them the fully remove it....its very simple....

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After removing the screws does the door panel slide straight out, or towards the bottom or what? I noticed that I had to slide the panel over the door handle. Do you know how many screws there are in the door. I tried removing most of the screws and still couldn't pull it off so I think I was missing one.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
i think i read somethin about this before and they said its attatched by brackets that you HAVE to break off...it was only a couple weeks ago or somethin so if you do a search you should be able to find it with ease..later on

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Are you missing the one behind the screw cover? Perhaps you didn't find any of the screw covers. You have two on the outside of the door, both Torx, like T10 or T15. You have one on the "inside" of the door, real close to the hinge. There are two screw covers at the bottom of the door. They look like plastic circles. Just pry them off. One is a Philips screwdriver and one is the same size Torx as the other. Finally, right on the door handle there is a plastic screw cover with a Cougar on it. Pry that off, and underneath is a Philips. So, in other words, let me count 1,2,3,4,5,6 screws, three on the outside of the door panel, and three going through the door panel and into the door, all hidden behind screw covers. The door panel should pop off now, start at the bottom. You can then disconnect the door cable by pulling the handle from the inside a little bit, then routing the little "T" bracket out through the slot. Be careful when you put it back together to get everything as it was in terms of the door cable and so forth. There is a plastic sleeve that must be put back the same way, with like a sleeve with a groove in it fitting into the panel. When you pull it off it's got some sort of adhesive putty holding it in.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
if they sold you plates for 5 x7's then they ripped you off. 5x7's are drop in. they fit perfect. as for the dorr i usually take out the 6 bolts then peel from the top where the mirrior meets the door and once i get cget my fingers in there the panel should fall off right in your hand

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, the speakesr I have are 5.25 in the front w/ tweaters and 6.5 in the back. I was saying they made me a plate that will allow me to put my 5.25 + tweater or 6.5 speaker in the stock hole of 5x7 or 6x9.

G

·
I TOOK OFF MY DOOR PANELS TO REPLACE THE SPEAKERS-TO MY SUPRISE THE PLUGS DIDNT FIT TOGETHER. WHEN I REASSEMBLED THE DOOR, THE COUGAR COVER SCREW DIDNT GO BACK IN THE HOLE. NOW IT FRICKEN RATTLES. ANY ASSISTANCE HERE. I WOULD JUST GET IT FIXED PROFESSIONALLY BUT I JUST BOUGHT INTAKE AND WOULD LIKE TO REPLENISH THE FUNDS BEFORE DROPPIN MORE COIN.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts