New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I would like to finish painting the center part of my dash but I can't seem to get my stereo out (Sony XPlod) I've heard there's a special tool for doing this but nobody's ever mentioned any name...what are these things called, and can i maybe get one at the place I bought my stereo (6th Ave)??? Thanks

Mike

G

·
to remove the stock stereo you need to use these things called DIN tools. they work on most every ford stereo. but, if I understand it correctly, you already have an aftermarket stereo in. That thing should just pop out, or use some small screwdriver to pry the edges out.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
you have an aftermarket deck already and can't get it out? --- what you need is the actual din pullers that came with your Sony headunit.... at least my Kenwood came with the tools... they look like flat little erector set pieces that slip into the din clips.... made of the same material that the din itself is made of...

G

·
Yep. If you don't have the removal tools that should've come with your radio, what you can do is first take off the face. Then pull off the trim ring, being careful not to break it or bend anything. You should see two small metal things sticking out the sides. Pull these away from each other and it should let the radio loose (it may take two sets of hands to do this).

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
A lot of the time, the aftermarket stereos (especially sony) are bolted into the dash. You have to remove the black trim from around the stereo, and possibly remove the entire dash panel to expose the 4 bolts, 1 at each corner of the stereo. From there you just use a screwdriver, take out the bolts, and then the stereo should slide out. It may also be inside it's own metal sheath, in which case you have to remove the bolts from the sides of the stereo that attach it to the sheaths. Good theft protection, but a pain in the a$$.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: EllenD
A lot of the time, the aftermarket stereos (especially sony) are bolted into the dash. You have to remove the black trim from around the stereo, and possibly remove the entire dash panel to expose the 4 bolts, 1 at each corner of the stereo. From there you just use a screwdriver, take out the bolts, and then the stereo should slide out. It may also be inside it's own metal sheath, in which case you have to remove the bolts from the sides of the stereo that attach it to the sheaths. Good theft protection, but a pain in the a$$.
The aftermarket units in our cars cannot be screwed into the dash. If anything, it's screwed into the filler plate. Use two strong paperclips, bent at the ends, and insert them in the sides of the headunit after you remove the trim piece. Should pull right out. Otherwise, take off the kick panels, remove the wiring from the back (antenna/power/harness), then push it out - it will come out with some pushing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts