New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help finding a wiring schematic for the 99 cougar. I am installing a remote start, keyless entry, alarm...

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what I found out: The cougar key has a comp chip in it. The only way to install remote start is to buy an adapter box and get another key made (@ $100+)and put it in the box under your dash- perfect for theft huh..oh and the wiring diagrams from the manufacturer, they are laid out in a russian or german format, defineatly not american done. So if you add any wiring mods using this book, be ready to learn a new way of doing it. I am forgoing my endeavor to install remote start and just put in keyless entry. If any one figures it out, please let me know how you did it, cuz you are the ****!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the ignition system or something of our car wouldn't allow remote start..

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do i hook up neon lighting to the ignition? the light goes to the music and has cigarette adapter on it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cougar wiring are not your standard Ford or Mercury color scheme. It's basically more of a search and good understanding of how the electrical system works. The cougars door lock and trunk release are negative trigger which are found in the drivers kick panel. It's in the cluster of wires. I forget which wires they are but if you use a standard test light you will be able to find it. The way you tell if you got the right wires is that.. when you probe the wire the door lock will either look or unlock. The trunk release wire is in the trunk release switch and is also negative. It's really nice that they made it negative because you would need to wire up relays if they were your traditional reverse polarity setup. Everything you need to install your alarm and remote starter is in the steering column. Us a test light to verify whats what. Make sure you dont tap the Air Bag wires. Just kiss your face good-bye if you do. It's pretty straight forward. Get your constant +12V, ignition +12V when the key in in the ingnition position and stays on "NOT FLASH" when you turn it to the start position. Acc. +12V you guessed it, turns on when you put the key in the ACC positon. Finally the starter wire only flashes +12V at start position. You need to get the brake wire at the brake switch +12v. Tach wire is at the Coil Pack. To get around the factory Pass Key system. A company called "DEI" that manufactures Viper Alarms carry this interface module. This part should only take you 5 minutes to install but probably 15 minutes to find the perfect location for the transponder around the Pass Key Module. This may seem complexed but it's very simple if you have a slight idea of how the electrical system works..

Good Luck!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I got my 99 Cougar someone had tried to install a Clifford Intelliguard 9000 and messed everything up. Sometimes I would unlock or lock the doors with keyless entry and the alarm would go off or the horn would start honking.

This got old very fast so I took it down to my local Car Toys and had them fix it. While it was torn apart I had them install remote start. Car Toys has a computer program with wiring diagrams and it took their expert installer about 6 hours to get it going. This 6 hours included rewiring the alarm system to work with the factory system(this is what caused my false alarms with keyless entry), installing remote start and some other cool stuff like my stereo doesn't turn off until the doors are opened. Total cost was $530 labor and parts.

I had to buy a module to emulate the chip in the key. You then use the key to program the module (No need to have a second key made). I would see if you can hustle some wiring diagrams out of your local stereo shop. I think the price of the module was about $70.

Good luck!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Keyless entry is easy to install. 29.95 and an hour and a half of my and a friend's time was all it took. Wires are located in the kick panel on the driver's side. Yellow with a green stripe locks, white with a green stripe unlocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts