New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I has been a long time since I posted this New LBC CMD for 2.5L.. Well I finally have had the chance to remove the Unorthodox underdrive crank pulley and install the cdm. I have been putting miles on the Cougar and letting the computer "learn" this new pulley operation. I now have several thousand miles on the car and the computer seems to have adjusted to the uniqueness of this pulley.

The goal of this project was to provide some of the advantages of a underdrive pulley (low weight and reduced load) with the advantages of a DMD pulley (reduced vibration and improved harmonic dampening).. The cdm design isn't new. The CMD has been used on high performance automobiles for years, but it is new to the 2.5L duratec as far as I know.

I have been surprised how fast and smooth the ATX shifts both up and down. I have been driving up and over hwy 152 (over a 2000' climb) and have observed that the engine down-shifts from OD to 3 rd without any noticeable effort on my gas pedal. Accelerating and moving through the gears is so very smooth it just doesn't act at all like the old slow-down and shift that is so common with the ATX. It is so nice to be able to accelerate without the tranny bogging down to shift.

Of course the advantage over the UDP is the fact that the accessories are driven at their normal speed, because the CDM and standard dampeners are the same diameter. No more lights dimming when the engine is idling. The CDM also provides harmonic dampening that is missing with the UDP.

I've always liked the UDP performance on the Cougar but have been concern about going onto the track without harmonic oscillation protection. I know that the ATX isn't supposed to require as much dampening as the MTX, BUT.. anyway, now we can have the best of both worlds.

Okay, here are some numbers I have taken with my G-Tech for comparison purposes to measure dynamic performance. Previous the best 1/4 mile time I logged at 16.33 sec and 87.7 mph (respectable for 250 lb driver in an ATX Cougar). I'm currently not running a cone intake filter on my car. So test data taken today was with a modified stock air filter box (still have the 250 lb driver). Today I had a few minutes to kill while my wife was getting her hair done.. Sooo I headed off to my test track for some 1/4 mile runs. Launching with the CDM provided a new experience. I was able to adjust to the change in the power band and after running a 16.67, 16.34 and 16.4.. I did a 16.0 flat, at 96.7 mph. It is quite obviously that this ATX could benefit from another gear as I quickly stepped through the gears with a minimum of rpm loss between shifts. Now if I had a chip that would let me crank up the rev's on the line... hummmm.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I have 6 of the CDM's available for $350 each. I was surprised they could build them for that price.

I wonder what would happen with the CDM on a MTX? .. :biggrin:

·
Registered
429 Posts
You ran a 16.0 with this on a stock atx? I will have to look into this.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Candy Striper is far from stock. If you take a look at my post at Cardomain.com (Photos), you'll see that it is heavily modified. Heat soak on this car with a conical filter is quite bad in the summer. So I have been running a slightly modified, stock air filter intake box with a K&N filter to take advantage of the cool air fender intake.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I'd be extremely interested if it didn't cost so much.
otherwise I'll take the loss of 2hp and go with the DMD.
Sounds like a great product though good job man

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
This seems like quite a great product! Great job Mr.Froge!

I am curious if this CDM could be used with the Alt + PS UD pullies available on the CEG group buy.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan
This seems like quite a great product! Great job Mr.Froge!

I am curious if this CDM could be used with the Alt + PS UD pullies available on the CEG group buy.
Yes, the ALT + PS pulleys will work with any stock size crank pulley such as the SDM, MDM and of course the CDM. But, there is no need for them with the CDM. No need to over-drive your accessories and reduce their life with under-drive pulleys.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Isnt the purpose of the ALT+PS <u>Under Drive</u> pullies... To Under Drive the accessories...Not overdrive them? Hence making them last longer?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Yeah... if you underdrive by adding pulleys to the PS and ALT, they are larger than the stock ones. If you underdrive your accessories with a crank pulley, it will be smaller than the stock crank pulley. That said, since this is the same size as stock, it should work fine.

Massiv.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Will these be available in the future or are only these six going to be available.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Oh man I want one of these! If this does wonders for the ATX shifts I'm going to be in... $350 is a little steep. I will have to see what I can sell to get me one of these!

How hard to install?

D

·
0 Posts
So if i put a dual mass crank damp and unorodox under drive pullys availible on www.nopi.com what would happen? A newbie in need with very limited computer time:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
You can't put a DMD and a unorthodox underdrive crank pully on at the same time,
they are both the same pulley,(same location)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I did a 16.0 flat, at 96.7 mph

just dont see an atx hitting this kind of mph in the quarter..gtech must be a little off

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
G-Tech is notorious for being inaccurate.... that being said,

He's comparing one g-tech run to another, which gives you a room to compare numbers, which is all you need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts