New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Koni's you had to cut the perches, but does the same apply for other strut makers or was the Koni perch a particular design that didn't jive?

Currently have a set of Eibach's, but because quality struts are impossible to find the BAT ones blew after 1,000 miles, and then the KYG's also (both discontinued) I'm running old Koni's in the back with GC's and the surviving BAT's up front on Eibachs. Needless to say, the handling is all over the map with that setup.

So my options seem to be try and send the Koni's out to be rebuilt, which if it costs the same as new Koni's so be it because they're no longer made, or roll the dice on obtaining some Bilsteins and seeing if the GC's work w/out modification (photos show the perch being smaller) or toss some NOS Motorcraft SVT rears I have and run Eibach all around.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Koni will rebuild them as long as the housing isn't compromised and the nut to open it isn't seized completely even if the perches are cut according to them when I inquired a couple months ago. Alternatively, you could just buy Coilovers off the shelf?

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
WHOA that's pretty major. BAT used to offer those as well.
Yeah, I've kind of been watching the Euro parts houses for the last couple of years, especially since BAT gave up on us.

·
Administrator
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Burton Power carries SPAX. That might be a good option.
I sent them a message about stock. So we'll see.

Koni will rebuild them as long as the housing isn't compromised and the nut to open it isn't seized completely even if the perches are cut according to them when I inquired a couple months ago. Alternatively, you could just buy Coilovers off the shelf?
Koni outsources the rebuilding last I asked and it's up to the discretion of the shop doing it. I just haven't followed up on it since because I was moving (need to send pics which requires removing the rears). I have a perfectly good set of coilovers, it's the lack of strut options that'll hold up to a lowered (not slammed) height is what is in short supply.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have some lower miliage konis with GC's already kicking around.

Can i asky why you wouldn't want to go to a full coilover? There is much better options vs 10 years ago.

·
Administrator
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My only answer is that I'm trying to use what I have so I don't have a collection of parts kicking around. D2s are the only full coilover setup I know of that's readily available.

EDIT: Burton Power got back to me and they're not stocking the SPAX. Earliest they can guess is Jan/Feb. I'm amazed at the lack of quality struts for these cars.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,812 Posts
KSport USA still offers a coilover, too.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
...I'm amazed at the lack of quality struts for these cars.
Another option might be to use a Koni insert. I've been meaning to cut open some old struts to take measurements for this, it just hasn't made it high enough up my list yet.

If that doesn't work, we might have to figure out how to adapt a different strut soon.

Reactions: JScullin
1 - 15 of 15 Posts