New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be the most ridiculous question every posted on this board, so I apologize to all those how read it. However, any assistance that can be provided would be great.

I removed the spare tire and jack this weekend to replace my brake pads and rotors, but I cannot figure out how the jack fits back into the compartment in the trunk. Would someone provide me with an explanation on how it should go back?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
If you look at the hump where the jack fits, there is a circle shaped bump with the top (closest to the front of teh car) that is flat. This is where the base of the jack lays.

Lay the spare tire on the ground, face down. Now adjust the jack so it fits inside the rim. Now place the jack in the trunk without screwing it down. This will allow you to play with it and the tire, to get them in right. When they are in, then remove the tire and screw the jack in...then screw the tire in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol... call roadside ...
the hardest part for me was figuring out which way the handle on the jack goes, and then which screw goes into which hole, trial and error will eventually fix it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I once spent 2 hours trying to get the jack and spare tire in. In a grocery store parking lot. That's one thing that's ALWAYS made me PRAY that I never pop another tire. Changing it's not the hard part compared to putting the jack and the tire back the right way!

Julie

·
Registered
482 Posts
I got so frustrated I just threw everything in the back for two days then tried again when I was calm the torn nuckles from scraping on the ground when your trying to spin that damn handle dont help much either

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've taken 2 more tries at it but havent' figured it out yet.

So what you are saying is that the jack lays on it side, with the base toward the front of the car, right? I also need to adjust the height of it so it fits in the rim of the spare.

This is pissing me off.

·
Administrator
24,546 Posts
Can somebody post a photo?

My car had no spare when I bought it, and now that I have one, I can't tell how anything fits in there. I've never seen it intact.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Ok, here goes....

Lay spare tire upside down on the ground, so the inside of the tire and rim are showing up. Now, adjust the jack so it fits INSIDE the rim.

Look in your spare tire well, you will see that there is a round bump up. It is a circle, but the top (edge facing the front of the car) is flat. This is where the base of the jack goes. Place the jack in the well, with the base of the jack closest to the front of the car. Move the handle so the hole is above the top screw hole in the trunk.

If you can not get the holes to line up..flip the jack...you have it upside down.

Now place the spare in and screw it down.

The hardest part people seem to have is lining up the hole in the jack handle and the screw hole in the trunk. The key is flipping the jack...it is upside down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts