New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 99 cougar v6 automatic. The door tag that has the recommended tire size and tire pressure is missing. Need info on tire size and recommended front and back tire pressures Thanks!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've always heard that it's best, for fuel economy, to use the maximum tire pressure listed on the tire.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Keep at least 34psi. As was said, lean more towards the max of the tire, but don't go TO the max.

·
8,564 Posts
32 psi is recommended.

You should not inflate much above that, or you'll get uneven wear. 34 psi is fine.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Looks as though I stand corrected. Friggin misinformation.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have another post on this subject. 32 psi is recommended by Ford for ride comfort/fuel economy. 34-35 psi would be the most I would go. About 30 would be the least I would go. If you run too much the center tread of the tire will wear. If you run too little you can wear the in/out sides of the tire. Usualy if you bump your tire pressure up a couple of pounds you can get a little better fuel milage but loose a little ride comfort.

P.S. Use the search box on the home page. Most likely your question has already been answered. Also try the FAQ thread.:facepalm:

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
I've always heard that it's best, for fuel economy, to use the maximum tire pressure listed on the tire.
You would be amazed how many people say this. :facepalm:

Somewhere around 34psi is a good place to run them for normal driving. I usually bump up to 40 when I'm going on a long highway trip for fuel economy, and drop down to around 30 when I'm going on a twistie drive.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You drop the tire pressure for the twisties? I think 32psi and less (30?!) is near being flat.

For normal driving, I run 43f/38r... and I can tell if a tire is less than 35psi as it'll start plowing when it shouldn't be. At 43/38 my tires wear evenly for the tires I have, my suspension, and driving style. For autocrossing, I run 51f/43r.

When I was running stockish sized tires, I ran 37f/35r.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You drop the tire pressure for the twisties? I think 32psi and less (30?!) is near being flat.

For normal driving, I run 43f/38r... and I can tell if a tire is less than 35psi as it'll start plowing when it shouldn't be. At 43/38 my tires wear evenly for the tires I have, my suspension, and driving style. For autocrossing, I run 51f/43r.

When I was running stockish sized tires, I ran 37f/35r.
You have to realize that low profile tires are going to look flat when they are not. If you run stock tire size you need to go by what the manufacturer of the vehicle says. The "max tire pressure" on the side of the tire is just a rating to match the tire to the vehicles requirements. "Max tire pressure" means that is all the pressure that the manufacturer of the tire rates it can hold safely.

If your racing your car it is always better to lower your tire pressure because you get better traction. Too much pressure doesn't allow the tire to flex and is realy stiff. Therefor it slides instead of flexing and gripping.

Again I say running too much pressure will wear the center tread and too little will wear the outer edge. It is always recomended to go by what the manufacturer states to put in the tires. This information can be found on a sticker in the drivers side door jam.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
For the record, the Tire Placard on my car is on the passenger door, not the driver.

And yeah Scott, I drop mine. When i autocrossed the first time, I started the morning at around 45 or 50, and this is what the first run was full of. Keep in mind the track came into frame from the LEFT, and was a right hand turn.

Pressure was WAAAAY too high, it was like I was on ice. My 30psi pressure was perfect for my old BFG G-Forces, but my new KDW's have felt uncomfortable the couple times I've run in the twisties. Once I get the suspension bushings all done and all nice and tight, I'll start trying to find the "right" pressure, but right now I think anything I try will be affected by the destroyed bushings.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The pressures I run on the street provide even tread wear for my car. The reason I run such high pressure when autocrossing is to keep off the sidewalls. I kept upping them until there was no sign of scrubbing (I marked the sidewalls). It really does depend on alot of variables (NOT the manufactures sticker). When I was autocrossing on 205/55-16 Azenis RT-215's (and with stock suspension) I ran 48f/30r. I had to run only 30 in the rear because the tires just wouldn't get warm with more pressure. Since there's not much weight in the rear, I would just start to hit the edge of the shoulders. My first event after stiffening the suspension was fun... the car was drifting on all the corners. I had to bump the rear pressure up to around 40 to get good rear traction.

The pressure you run on the street depends on at least: tire specs (make), suspension, chassis setup (and weight distribution), and driving style. The psi in the door jam is what the car manufacturer suggests for the OEM tires and to have a nice soft ride. Since most people don't "drive" their cars... that should be an acceptable number for most people -- the tires will wear evenly and they won't have complaints from most of their customers. But do yourself a favor... get a depth gauge (or a tire depth gauge) and check the inner, outter, and center of your tires every month. Adjust your tire pressure (and alignment) based off those readings... as those are the only ones that matter for you.

If your racing your car it is always better to lower your tire pressure because you get better traction. Too much pressure doesn't allow the tire to flex and is realy stiff. Therefor it slides instead of flexing and gripping.
I only agree with that if your running wrinkle slicks. That doesn't apply to conventional tires or drag radials.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
I am running 2 bars (28 psi) on my 205/40/17`s. Is that too low? Tire wear seems even.
I tend to run mine in the mid 30's (~2.5 bar) on the street. The ideal pressure will vary depending on tire size and model, but on my 225/45/17 Kumho Ecsta MXs, that seems to be about right for regular driving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts