New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i did a search and came up blank so i have two questions for anybody who may know. I'd like to get my wheels recoated, i just want to know if this can be done on the stock 17"s from the Zn models and also if there are any translucent coatings that will hold up one wheels. i suppose lots of coats of a candy paint would be the most obvious way, but is there such thing as a translucent or candy powdercoat? any info would help.

Thanx!
JD

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanx for the reply, I was hoping translucent powdercoats did exist. you wouldn't happen to have any particular product recommendations would you? I'm looking for a semi transparent black (basically tint my wheels much darker). I assume I could just take it to a good shop that does powdercoating and they'll have a sample book i can look through or something, but if you know of something just off the top of your head, that would be great.

Thanx!

JD

·
NECO Triathlete
969 Posts
I have been researching doing something very similar and I do like the powdercoating option.
I only have two reservations about the whole process.
1. The preparation -- It seems as though in order to powercoat any metal effectively it must be just the pure metal. There can be nothing on the wheel at all...no paint or clear coat, or it will not come out right (someone please correct me if I have been misinformed). So the wheels need to be sand or bead blasted before they are powdercoated.
2. The center caps cannot be powder coated due to them being plastic. I was thinking I could have them painted to match, but with all of the abuse the wheels take, the paint may fade and I could end up with wheels that have centercaps that dont match. Good Luck to you, which ever you decide. I am still contemplating myself.

·
Registered
810 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts