New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is all involved with doing a rear wheel drive conversion and will the costs be over 10 000

G

·
You see this kind of thing all the time on Junkyard Wars! Of course they make it all wheel drive, and it doesn't seem to difficult. Now that would be cool, especially with the traction control option.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
you realize that by asking this question

it shows you know nothing

note that this does not mean you are "STUPID"

just ignorant

do your research!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
what about using some ford aerostar parts, such as the drive shaft and stuff, maybe even the tran. I don't know.....just a thought.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
who's stupid..i've seen a rear-wheel drive cougar on here before...just search the boards

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
yes, your right, there are PICTURES of RWD cougars

that does not mean that the people who designed/built those hang out here. I can tell you they do not.

I can also tell you that those people are professionals and even if they deicided you were worth there time you better know everything you can possibly find out about RWD conversions and have specific, relevant and technical questions.

For example (this may or may not be correct):

I am thinking of doing a RWD conversion to my cougar. I am planning to use a small block chevy with a 3.73 rear end. I have a preliminary design for a front subframe and new front engine mounts. I am going to use two transversly located mounts off of XXX point and XXX point, along with a long mount from XXX. For the rear frame I am going to relocate the gas tank to XXX point for driveshaft clearance as well as convert the rear suspension to leafs to support the rear end. What I am having problems with is the steering column conversion, did you reuse any of the stock components or did you do a complete tearout with another setup?

Now that shows you KNOW something.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
So less knowledgable people are not allowed to ask questions and become educated? Wow, I never knew that! :biggrin:

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Originally posted by: NorCalCoug
So less knowledgable people are not allowed to ask questions and become educated? Wow, I never knew that! :biggrin:

:rolleyes:
Come on man u should already know that.. I mean some of us are really freindly.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Unless I'm thinking of something else, the company that is doing this to the focus is just moving the engine to the rear and having that drive the rear wheels.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I dont know if anyone has seen my pictures of the beast in the video pic, forum(called Hmmm..next mod?)....its not your everyday driver, but im sure you could get some tips of the trade on the conversion.

G

·
the focus kit...the one that drops in a v8 cobra engine in the FRONT has an optional rwd conversion if i remember correctly...buti dont know if they ever even got around to making the kit for sale. i emailed kugel a while back about adapting the v8 kit to a cougar and they just said "i can't help you"...pricks! jk when i was looking at lincoln LS information on edmunds...it said the LS (even the v6) was rwd...so maybe that could be fabricated for the cougar. i have a more than unhealthy desire to do the AWD conversion from the x-type...so as soon as i find a wrecked x type with an intact engine and drivetrain for under 5k...i'll let you know :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts