New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am looking at upgrading my wheels over the winter. I have the set in mind I want, they're 18's, the rest of the details aren't really important. Here's my question - I am thinking about getting two sets. One I want to mount with BF Goodrich KDW G-force's for daily driving. The other set I want to split, and mount drag radials on two, since there's obviously no need for drag radials on the rear, and I was thinking of using the other two wheels to mount AutoX-only tires.

My thinking behind this is the fronts are VASTLY more important than the rears as far as performance is concerned in AutoX. Now, would I just be a complete idiot for doing this? Would it kill my rears and make it not worth it? Would "street" rears affect my performance that much? Would the SCCA even allow mixing tires? I'm just curious. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
is a pop sensation
13,675 Posts
As far as the rules go, you'd be fine, but generally mixing tires isn't recommended. I've seen people do it with decent results, but I think that the type of autox tire you want to get for the fronts will be a big factor. If you go with an R-compound (especially something really sticky like the Kumho Ecsta V710 or Hoosier A3S05) the rear would be really loose for you. With a street tire (like the Falken Azenis Sport RT215 or RT615) you should be OK since the grip difference would be smaller.

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Tom. I'll probably just retain my set of stockers and put my AutoX on there then. I'm wanting to run the full season with the local SCCA chapter, and I want to be more than competitive.

·
Super Moderator
22,394 Posts
i would def go with a full set of auto x tires. for one they will last longer. kuhmo v710 have a treadwear rating of 30. and running just those 2 tires in the front would kill them, rotation is a must. How often are you planning on dragging? If all the time then i would get 2 extra rims and put drag tires on them and run street tires in the rears. But I know with the V710's it is like night and day. My car feels like it is on rails, now if I only had koni's it would be even better

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a local drag strip here . . . they're open almost every Friday night from late March til Halloween . . . so I'm gonna drag quite a bit.

I don't really want to buy three sets of wheels . . . I think that'd be slight overkill, especially seeing how I have two sets already :rofl:

I'll probably buy two sets of the 18's, use one set for daily, two of the second set for drag radials, and then have two spares just in case. I'll sell one set of the current stockers I have now, and keep the other set (both 16's) for AutoX.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Well pick up just 2 beat stock wheels of a NECO member and mount some drag tires on those. I am sure you could pick up some stock 16" wheels all curbed and nasty (but still nice and round) for cheap.

or just run your autox tires on the strip.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Indeed - and you could prob get better times with 16s at the drag track, anyway (if only a litle bit).

I have a whole set of stock 16s I am more than willing to part with for a reasonable amount if you were interested.

I am curious how easy it would be to spin the back end around it you had two dif tires on... would be fun to try, at least.

·
is a pop sensation
13,675 Posts
Not hard at all. I've spun my car a few times and get the tail out pretty predictably even with r-comps on all four corners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.