New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, this weekend I installed my 21mm BAT rear sway bar. I found that the new urathane bushings were too big to fit on the brackets that hold it to the frame of the car by almost 1/4". I was able to install it fine after trimming the excess off, but my question is this:

should I have ordered different mounting brackets to go along w/ the new sway bar? has anyone else had to trim their bushings to fit?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
as far as I know there are no other mounting brackets you can buy which will fit the stock subframe mounting points for the rear sway bar (due to the slot and bolt design, rather than a standard bolt-bolt design)

reagardless, don't expect your sway bar brackets to hold up anyways. It is pretty much guranteed on our cars that after upgrading to a larger sway-bar (whether that bar is 19mm, 21mm, 22mm or 24mm) that after time your going to break one or both of the subframe mounting points. Happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The solution is to drop the rear subframe and weld on new, beefier brackets.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I had a shop redesign the brackets and moved the location a tad where the bar has a little more motion so less stress is put on mounts and brackets...

then everything was bolted up, and then welded and rewelded.

I broke both my mounts within a few weeks of installing my Progress 21mm sway bar...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Stock brackets are no good for a larger bar.

New brackets can be had from summit/es/jcwhitney
Order the small sway bar brackets in your sway bar size, and
put a second bolt in/ with new backing plates.

Puck puck made his own custom ones, which are very easy to make (backing plates)
Ive been running my 22mm bar for 1 1/2 years with no probs at all.

The key thing you need is...larger bracket for your larger bar and bushings
and backing plates to help distribute the load.
I believe there are a bunch of guys on CEG who make bolt on or weld in pieces,
yet you can make your own. Lastly, install some ES end link bushings since the stock ones
will tear up over time

·
Registered
587 Posts
I got an aussie 24 mm bar a year or so ago from a member on here that had never installed it. I dont know what brackets he had gotten. But they work fine with mine, they were much thicker and had to be welded.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
yeah i made some... out of steel plates 1" wide... you can get them at home depot... cut wheel, grinder and drill press required

·
Registered
215 Posts
I go; thte aussie bar also with some backing plates I got cut at a local metal shop. Welded them on and been like that for two years with 0 problems.

Well I take that back it made the ST 2000 RSB installation evne that much more of a beeeeeaaaacth!

But BTW that strut brace is amazing. I'm gonna kill myself testing it out :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thought i would tell you guys i had to buy two new sway bar brackets for my 21mm sway bar a couple of months ago. Ford redesigned them a little bit and i found that they are stronger than my originals. Just thought i'd put my .02 in.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts